• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Enclosed trailer questions/opinions

Buy used. Buddy bought a used 36' for 8g's. It is a dirt track hauler but has ramp overs gen compressor and a bunch of nice cabinets.

Generally speaking the trailers with the flat roofs are better built trailers. Six lug axles and brakes on both is way to go.

I bought AC unit for mine on eBay. Just take vent off roof and it goes right on. Had to put some Insaluation in the top of mine and it made heating and cooling so much easier. Also if if don't already have one generators are not cheap. My 3500 would run AC but it's all it wanted. CL for a onan from an old camper, can be had cheap and are quiet.

Everybody forgets about tounge weight too. Don't worry about cap if you get 6 lug axles.

Lots of options but my advise is look used.

I bought a new 24 ft with 7ft ceiling 8.5 ft wide with 7000 lb axles from US Cargo for 5400,also wired for ac.

1tfrot said:
I'll build a bunk in the front to sleep on and still have decent floor space when the buggy is inside. also had an extra vent put in so I can add an AC/heat unit this spring. it also has a 30a service box so I can plug into campgrounds

This is what I did with mine. Insulated, air conditioner and a divider wall that folds up against the ceiling when were rolling down the road. Worked out really well for us.

https://www.facebook.com/jerod.yankey/media_set?set=a.822319667791098.100000392185034&type=3

What about a fold-down bunk in the front so it didnt' take up space when hauling? Then you could just fold it down when you set up camp. 2x4s, plywood and some heavy duty hinges and you're set.

yankster said:
We haul both buggies in our 40 footer.

What are you pulling it with? Also how much room for getting in and out of the rig when pulled into the trailer? Especially a full body one with doors like my cherokee.

This is the one I just bought to replace my truck camper. 44 foot long with 7500lb pay load capacity. I went from one end of the spectrum to the other. 16 foot long garage with divider between the camper and garage. It was designed to haul a vehicle. It was bought as a race trailer then sent to a coach conversion company to do the camper part. 2 8000 lb torsion axles and 16 inch wheels. 15000 lb gross.
All aluminum trailer I hope will hold up to abuse for many years.

Cimmeron Transtar trailer with a Trailboss coach conversion

Attachments

• 1419017571228-352414348.jpg
    1419017571228-352414348.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 122
Hudson1 said:
This is the one I just bought to replace my truck camper. 44 foot long with 7500lb pay load capacity. I went from one end of the spectrum to the other. 16 foot long garage with divider between the camper and garage. It was designed to haul a vehicle. It was bought as a race trailer then sent to a coach conversion company to do the camper part. 2 8000 lb torsion axles and 16 inch wheels. 15000 lb gross.
All aluminum trailer I hope will hold up to abuse for many years.

Cimmeron Transtar trailer with a Trailboss coach conversion
You win. nice trailer

9e3a537b170adb054952002971ba77b6.jpg

I'm selling this 30' with sleeping quarters a/c,heat, microwave , toaster oven ,gas grill, 6lug axels both with brakes $2000 firm.
Pm if interested
High jack over

Joe Eck

xjkrawler said:
What are you pulling it with? Also how much room for getting in and out of the rig when pulled into the trailer? Especially a full body one with doors like my cherokee.
I pull it with a 2012 Duramax 2500 with all the deletes. Getting in her buggy with the high side panels is a chore but doable.

I was looking in the wrong place searching for toy haulers. There are some badass used trailers in the horse world. I bought mine used for less than most of the big toy haulers and less than a big new stripped race trailer. Horse people buy good stuff and then sell it a few years later. So do people with high end sports cars and hot rods. Check out some horse trailers that people built their own interiors , they have some great ideas.

My 2 cents is if I was gonna buy an enclosed I'd purchase a gooseneck style before a bumper pull simply because of the lesser wind resistance. I love bumper pull car haulers but every bumper pull enclosed I've pulled is like dragging a parachute down the road. A friend of mine pulls a modified GN horse trailer and he gets the same mileage pulling it as he does pulling his car hauler because the wind break around the truck cab continues right right over and around the enclosed GN. The front of his horse trailer is V-shaped so that probably helps some but anything's better than an 8.5ft X 9.5ft vertical wall 5ft past your tailgate.

tallnate said:
My 2 cents is if I was gonna buy an enclosed I'd purchase a gooseneck style before a bumper pull simply because of the lesser wind resistance. I love bumper pull car haulers but every bumper pull enclosed I've pulled is like dragging a parachute down the road. A friend of mine pulls a modified GN horse trailer and he gets the same mileage pulling it as he does pulling his car hauler because the wind break around the truck cab continues right right over and around the enclosed GN. The front of his horse trailer is V-shaped so that probably helps some but anything's better than an 8.5ft X 9.5ft vertical wall 5ft past your tailgate.

I like that with a gooseneck you have a dedicated spot for your bed too, plus it's easier to turn it around

Meh, I imagine when you go to a gooseneck version, it's a lot higher. I'll deal with not having a bed over the tongue and save money lol. I'll probably buy whatever deal comes up on a used one that fits my needs, when I get ready to purchase. Chad sent me pics of a 2007 28' Haulmark in great shape at a damn good price, but ain't sure I want to move so soon on this. I gots them shallow pockets.

jpony645 said:
What about a fold-down bunk in the front so it didnt' take up space when hauling? Then you could just fold it down when you set up camp. 2x4s, plywood and some heavy duty hinges and you're set.

mine will sit on e-track so it can come out easy enough. probably leave it in all the time though

We just got this a couple weeks ago. Tri axle 40' overall with 32' floor, 95" door opening 96" inside width, completely wired w/ 2 fluorescent lights inside and out, heat and air unit..

Damnit man now ya got me thinking about an enclosed trailer :flipgotcha:. I might need to get a bigger truck though my 1/2 ton pulls like a champ but I don't know how it would do with an enclosed. My buddy has one maybe he'll let me pull his and see.