• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Endurance racing in the South?

Rjhoward32006 said:
Been talking to a friend about this. would be awesome but I would keep the moto "kiss" for the throphy class. most Cherokees or Toyota axles will not hold a 35-38" tire without heavy modification and upgrades.
a 33" class with little modification + safety requirenments would be killer and should see a good turnout

a 33" tire class would be a blast. hell i'd go find a set and throw on the tj then pretend i'm ol tc..... or casey

I think simple classes are best.
Stock class lift kit or long arm / no aftermaket 3 or 4 link kit , no engine swaps, no hydro steer, axle upgrades ok 37" max tire (some street/ trail JK run a 37") bigger tire not always faster. Basically YJ on leafs, TJ no coilover, XJ no coilover, SaS Toyota on leafs ok
Modified class. frame or unibody from crank pulley to behind seats, hydro steer ok, one shock per corner. no tire limit
Unlimited = bring it.

my opinion

RustyC said:
I think simple classes are best.
Stock class lift kit or long arm / no aftermaket 3 or 4 link kit , no engine swaps, no hydro steer, axle upgrades ok 37" max tire (some street/ trail JK run a 37") bigger tire not always faster. Basically YJ on leafs, TJ no coilover, XJ no coilover, SaS Toyota on leafs ok
Modified class. frame or unibody from crank pulley to behind seats, hydro steer ok, one shock per corner. no tire limit
Unlimited = bring it.

my opinion

The only shitty thing about that is what it does to people like me, it puts me in the modified class because I 3 linked the front. Still stock suspension rear. But i get it thats part of it. I'll come and watch and drink beer if schedule allows.

Yeah getting bumped up a class hurts sometimes. I would have to run with Ultra4 cars with multiple shocks per corner and I only have one and they are small.
I'm ok with that if that's what is takes to get people on the course.

Yeah who knows what will happen. It would be cool to race, but at the same time I'm broke so racing may not be in the budget or future for me. If there's a 33" class maybe, i could put together a xj or zj and just blast it have fun say fawk it. But who knows. Either way if it's close i'll come out and watch and drink beer and then go ride.

TBItoy said:
Trying to race a "trail rig" that wasn't put together to race a specific class is almost always going to be a losing proposition.

Losing proposition, but fun right???

I'd definitely be interested in attending an Endurance style race. Watched the one at Dayton, TN a few years back and enjoyed that setup for the most part. Was nice to see the entire track from the truck.

ridered3 said:
Losing proposition, but fun right???

I'd definitely be interested in attending an Endurance style race. Watched the one at Dayton, TN a few years back and enjoyed that setup for the most part. Was nice to see the entire track from the truck.

Oh yeah it'd be fun . It just sucks for 90% of the trail rigs out there, because they usually have some sort of modification that bumps you to another class (the way rules are structured in previous series)

People will probably read my posts and think I'm anti-racing or whatever, but I'm just adding some perspective.

If a series (or individual events like the AOP 4 banger races ) starts up, I'd try my best to put a rig together for it. Most likely a Cherokee or 3rd gen 4Runner.

I loved racing the dirt riot series, Id like to see another like it. Just hate I sold my race heep... :****: Id build another though, I was very happy at chocco I was only 4 min slower (lap) than ultra 4 buggies and I had a 4.0 and my rig cost what their tires and wheels retailed for lol. I always wanted to race roger just for the fun of it and never got a chance to. depending on my work schedule and the race schedule Id build another rig to run.

I am proof of that. I started with a CJ 5 for th B class in The ECORS series. By the time it was kinda competitive, I had spent enough to have purpose built from the ground up. Learned a lot , improved the safety and reliability of my "trail rig" ten fold. Pushed the limits of what we could call trail parts, but l did dto a lot of innovation with the parts I had. I have the time to out built and push the limits of the rules v.s. buying my way to the podium. I love the challenge of racing and enjoy the people more than the podium. Do I want to win, hell yes, but with my chosen career I have way more time to build than money to buy.
For those that think leaf springs are old tech and can't compete, I had front and rear links and good shocks, I remember being passed like I was sitting still by a Ftoy with leafs. Damn I miss being run over by Mark. Not true, Mark is a Gentlemen racer, he always let you know he was gonna pass.

I never left a race without a plan to make something better .

Hudson1 said:
I am proof of that. I started with a CJ 5 for th B class in The ECORS series. By the time it was kinda competitive, I had spent enough to have purpose built from the ground up. Learned a lot , improved the safety and reliability of my "trail rig" ten fold. Pushed the limits of what we could call trail parts, but l did dto a lot of innovation with the parts I had. I have the time to out built and push the limits of the rules v.s. buying my way to the podium. I love the challenge of racing and enjoy the people more than the podium. Do I want to win, hell yes, but with my chosen career I have way more time to build than money to buy.
For those that think leaf springs are old tech and can't compete, I had front and rear links and good shocks, I remember being passed like I was sitting still by a Ftoy with leafs. Damn I miss being run over by Mark. Not true, Mark is a Gentlemen racer, he always let you know he was gonna pass.

I never left a race without a plan to make something better .

Your rig was one of them that I was thinking of too

Neal is right, MONEY SPENDING.

Neal did you race B or C class?

There were guys running 350+hp stroker I6s in stock class Jeeps, etc.
Wizzo ran the guts out of his trail buggy racing against guys with prepped race cars like Chicky Barton and Will Carter

I'd say fun/success per dollar spent, Julio or Dylan Wyles were probably the winners there. That probably has more to do with ability to endure physical abuse and generally being crazy MF drivers. I've seen the rattler 10' in the air on autozone White shocks and dylan passed me in Dayton by basically jumping over the gremlin in a basically bone stock cherocar.

TBItoy said:
Wizzo ran the guts out of his trail buggy racing against guys with prepped race cars like Chicky Barton and Will Carter

Running the C class in ECORS was definitely brutal and fun at the same time. Only reason it was brutal was b/c I didn't have enough shock. Running 2" coil overs all the way around is not enough. Racing guys who have bypasses all around and much more engine, you figure out real quick you are at a disadvantage. I had a blast and learned a lot. Plus the ol trail rig is just that much stronger with the upgrades I threw at it to race.

5BrothersFabrication said:
Your profile pic is from the Dayton race, right? If so, I was there. That race is what gave me the fever.

Yessir. It was my favorite race as well. Even though the oil pump went out and locked up my 6.0..........

I'd probably race at Dayton given the opportunity.

I took my trail rig and did the minimum required to pass tech, got some used 35" tires off Craigslist so I could try out the ECORS thing. After my first race at AOP I was hooked. Trail riding is still cool but there is nothing like a land rush short course start! After the first race I put a bunch of money into my rig. Tires, safety gear, shocks, aluminum radiator and had a better set of tools and parts for my pit. I uassly pitted with the other Toyota Trail guys so we could share parts and Toyota related tech during and between races while pitting. Everyone that I encountered during the races was super cool and willing to help out in anyway they could from helping change tires, welding, great food you name it. Overall a great racing experience that I am trying to bring to the area in Washington I now live in. We get a WE rock event and some crazy barrel racing stuff but nothing like endurance style racing. In Febuary me and as of now 3 other rigs are going to put on some helmets and run a local trail for time. Hopefully some more rigs will show up and it will catch on.

I've always wondered if you did a claimer style race....winner has to sell rig for $1000 after end of the race, minus all safety equipments. Keep it a true beater class. You could make money doing it, buy a $500 Cherokee, weld in a cage and rock out!

ranger11 said:
I loved racing the dirt riot series, Id like to see another like it. Just hate I sold my race heep... :****: Id build another though, I was very happy at chocco I was only 4 min slower (lap) than ultra 4 buggies and I had a 4.0 and my rig cost what their tires and wheels retailed for lol. I always wanted to race roger just for the fun of it and never got a chance to. depending on my work schedule and the race schedule Id build another rig to run.

If 1/2 the people in this thread had shown up to race dirt riot when they were running the southeast series (chocco, gray rock, etc) they'd probably still be running it. I helped some friends who raced that series and was surprised at how low the participation was. Even the SXS class was only getting 3 or so rigs per race.

ECORS was packed with rigs before Dirt Riot was even on the map, ULTRA4 had not traveled the the southeast yet. It seems the popularity of the sport may have been its downfall in the south. 6 years ago at Windrock, ECORS had so many rigs that participated in both the b and c classes as well as the demolition derby a class it was amazing. Cherokees sure can take a beating.

There seems to be some positive feedback in this thread some far. Pro Rock racing has posted up that there are events coming is 2017 and others have shown interest in getting involved.
If you have a vehicle that met class requirements and you were will to get a helmet and travel to a location at one of the Southeastern parks,what would you same is a fair or out of your league for an entry fee?

For the stock to modified trail classes. Would a $25 entry fee grab your attention or is $50+ too much.
For the super modified and unlimited $50 entry or is 100+ too much.

Trying to get a baseline for what it would take to get racers out, park would obviously keep some of the entry and the rest goes to the purse to be distributed.
I don't forsee a huge turnout or purses being paid out but getting a race together that pays for itself would be a step in the right direction.