• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Engine swap laws in Hamilton county TN

KVINSON said:
Call Tom at Toms 4x4 there in Chattanooga he did a 5.3 swap in his brute and just did a hemi swap in a JK he can tell you im pretty sure

Good idea !

kmcminn said:
Is emissions check something that is done annually or just once when you purchase it?
Every damn year. One of the reasons my jeep hasn't had tags in 6 plus years. At least the price has come down some. It's 9 bucks and if it fails you get a 2nd chance for free. My fully deleted Cummins passes even though they can't get the obd2 to connect, they sniffer test it. I've seen diesels come in blowing smoke just idling and pass. But my jeep failed for a bad neutral safety switch.

Alright guys, I think I've got my answers.

I got ahold of the State mechanic today and he was super helpful.

Basically it goes like that (for Hamilton County at least) :

Year 74 or less, no emission testing.
From 75 to 95, there's a tail pipe sniffing test + Gas cap air tightness test + Check for Catalytic Converter presence
From 96 to pst, there is an OBD2 test + Gas cap air tightness test.

As far as engine swap goes,

If your car is from before 74, no problem.
If your car is from 75 to 95, as long as the emissions levels are in line with whatever the norm for the year was, you're good to go. If you swap in a more modern engine, it should be a no brainer.
For 96 to pst, you need to retrofit the whole OBD system from the donor car INCLUDING emission related stuff. They also check for the VIN in the OBD computer and it needs to match the one from the vehicle.

For fuel type changes (gas to diesel or vice versa), they don't care. Just mention to the guy testing the vehicle what type of fuel you're running and you should be good to go.

If you want more info, you could contact the guy. His name is Alex and you can reach him at : (423) 892-8972. If he's unavailable, leave a message he'll contact you back.

Guy was super nice, asked me what my project was, and even told me good luck.

Latest posts