• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Exhaust flex joints? Hydraulic hose temp?

Dirt700

Gonna try and run the 4 inch magnaflow straight thru mufflers, not the race ones if I can help it. It will have to go almost directly on the collectors, so I was thinking about using the flex joints. Pros? Cons? The muffler has to be before the tcase, there's not enough room for it to fit between frame rails and atlas.

Also where my steering hose will be routed they will be pretty close to headers. Should I wrap them with some kind of header wrap or something similar?

This is driver side by upper link where the hoses would be coming, I can go over the tranny and come down the other side, but they will still be pretty close
486fb6cdb5afa11d48cc8d6f7e2f0054.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You can kinda see where the muffler has to go, I will try and get a side pic next week
cef467f221e6dd7714ef9a4adc7ed8b1.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Re:

What dealings i have with hydraulic hose's. I would wrap the hose. The heat may end up making it brittle, causing it to start seeping through the jacket.
Little bit of extra step, but might just save you on a trail.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just be careful that muffler under your seat does not set your ass on fire. It has happen before.

Re: Re: Exhaust flex joints? Hydraulic hose temp?

extremetownie said:
Just be careful that muffler under your seat does not set your ass on fire. It has happen before.
I remember one at Choccolocca

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It will under the floor pans, I was planning on putting lava mat on the bottom side of them

are you talking about these things:

555-30770.jpg

If so, and there arent all v-bands in the exhaust...I will use one to keep the headers from loosening up. I just feel like it gives a tiny bit of give in the system to not bring all the vibration right up to bolts to loosen them up.

I will even put them in if there are v-bands...makes things a little easier to work with over time in my opinion if things are tight in the belly pan.

How much space is between the atlas and the frame? Is there no way to massage a pipe past it?

slravenel said:
are you talking about these things:

555-30770.jpg

If so, and there arent all v-bands in the exhaust...I will use one to keep the headers from loosening up. I just feel like it gives a tiny bit of give in the system to not bring all the vibration right up to bolts to loosen them up.

I will even put them in if there are v-bands...makes things a little easier to work with over time in my opinion if things are tight in the belly pan.

How much space is between the atlas and the frame? Is there no way to massage a pipe past it?
I was going to do v band at collector to flex joint, with muffler weld to the other end.

There is about 3.25 inch's

Dirt700 said:
I was going to do v band at collector to flex joint, with muffler weld to the other end.

There is about 3.25 inch's

You certainly cant hurt to put one in there. However I am one of those people who looks at exhaust as somewhat of an expendable item. I wrap it and know that over time the pipes and mufflers will need to be replaced, but my entire setup from collector back is only about 3 feet. I have a flex pipe and 2 bullet mufflers in there.

I dont think you NEED a flex, but I just prefer to put them in. Tons of guys dont run them, and they definitely do add in just another place for failure...but I havent personally ever had any downsides.

As for getting pipe past the atlas....you can squeeze something through there! Gotta get creative :smoke:

But if not, really no big deal, just dump it out the side as far back as you can. Mine exits out at the back of the belly pan. I ceramic paint, wrap, then shield where it runs near anything that i dont want heat sinked (floor, starter, firewall where my feet are, seat, etc)

slravenel said:
You certainly cant hurt to put one in there. However I am one of those people who looks at exhaust as somewhat of an expendable item. I wrap it and know that over time the pipes and mufflers will need to be replaced, but my entire setup from collector back is only about 3 feet. I have a flex pipe and 2 bullet mufflers in there.

I dont think you NEED a flex, but I just prefer to put them in. Tons of guys dont run them, and they definitely do add in just another place for failure...but I havent personally ever had any downsides.

As for getting pipe past the atlas....you can squeeze something through there! Gotta get creative :smoke:

But if not, really no big deal, just dump it out the side as far back as you can. Mine exits out at the back of the belly pan. I ceramic paint, wrap, then shield where it sruns near anything that i dont want heat sinked (floor, starter, firewall where my feet are, seat, etc)
I can put muffler in front and run a 3 inch past it and dump behind the skid plate.
What bullet mufflers do you use? Link?
What do you use to shield with? I have looked at lava mat, but I'm sure there are other brands and kinds.

I've used the silicone backed fiberglass wrap, it much nicer than the standard fiberglass "header wrap" and doesn't soak up oil/dirt.

They make it in tube sleeves also, to run hoses and wire thru. you could run some on your hydraulic hoses (makes a good abrasion sleeve too)

Firesleeve

TBItoy said:
I've used the silicone backed fiberglass wrap, it much nicer than the standard fiberglass "header wrap" and doesn't soak up oil/dirt.

They make it in tube sleeves also, to run hoses and wire thru. you could run some on your hydraulic hoses (makes a good abrasion sleeve too)
Thanks Nick, I will try and look that up as well

I second the silicone fire sleeve. I'm putting it on virtually every hose on my rig whether it's near a heat source or not. It ain't too cheap though. But to me the peace of mind is worth it.

hokie_yj said:
I second the silicone fire sleeve. I'm putting it on virtually every hose on my rig whether it's near a heat source or not. It ain't too cheap though. But to me the peace of mind is worth it.

Where you get it from Ben?

Dirt700 said:
Where you get it from Ben?

I run this on all of my wires and hoses as well. I am in the aviation industry, so I got it from a supplier of ours....Hokie is right, its not cheap but in my opinion its well worth it. It will stop a fire from happening.

Make sure you get the tape for the end of the hoses as well, it seals the hose in completely and keeps any fluid inside and any heat out.

I used the DEI reflect-a-gold on all my panels as well, I just bought it from summit. I had experience using that from back in my nascar days and knew it worked well so I went with it. Its thin like aluminum foil, and it does a really good job keeping heat out. My headers run less than an inch from my panel right by my gas pedal foot and I can drive the buggy in flip flops and its fine. Air gaps are also your friend...two alum panels with a 1/4 in between them will do wonders for heat

For my bullets, I used the dynomax 6" mini race bullets. I used 2 though. I had to snake in there a bit and couldnt run one long muffler and still have it exit where I wanted it to as I needed a tiny kink in the pipe...so I run 2 mufflers with a few inches of pipe in between them to get it where I needed it to go.

here are some random pics from during the build

ry3BMpR.jpg

qBLY4d8.jpg

R0JoXL1.jpg

I got mine be from Improvedracing.com. There's probably cheaper sources out there though.

Where can I find the tape at? I didn't put anything on mine. I suppose I should.

hokie_yj said:
I got mine be from Improvedracing.com. There's probably cheaper sources out there though.

Where can I find the tape at? I didn't put anything on mine. I suppose I should.

http://www.firesleeve.com/intro.html?sessid=ac269fcc58fa5c107214d1555b00bf8e

They sell most all of the same stuff under a different name than the true Aerospace stuff. It is all made the same, but this stuff is just not "approved" by the FAA. But they are legitimately made on the same spool laughing1 #FAAstuff

The end seal stuff is the tape you want. It isnt sticky, but when you wrap it around itself it bonds and seals up the whole deal.

You can see here how you end up doing it, it just seals up the entire hose and you stick it to the fitting so its all either metal, or sleeve...no fire here!

BQfcYUF.jpg

jIdX8nT.jpg

Learned a very good lesson on my buggy for steering. The pretty stainless Teflon hoses will not hold up anywhere near headers. The heat will melt the Teflon out and the hose will blow during the first time you ever put it under a big load. Nothing like working 2 years on a buggy and having it go up in flames 10 seconds into the first race hill.