• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fast EFI tuning

halcat

I was talking to rafter b2000 at GMP during the Hardline ride and he was explaining how he took his new buggy and had his engines efi tuned . This piece of **** I now have is supposed to be self learning but it's dumber than I am. It floods at idle and runs hot so may be lean at throttle. Any body know of a place in middle tenn that can set this while engine is the buggy? It's the early version of the fast efi, not the 2.0

I just put a Msd atomic on mine. I think mines facing retarded!! My **** will not idle, runs lean when you force it idle. I'm about ready to go back to the motor craft 2brl.

My Holley terminator Efi is doing the exact same. Seems everyone I talk to with these style efi systems are having the same issues

The EFI systems do little to no tuning at idle, you will have to tune those areas in the VE tables yourself or have someone do it for you. I have FAST intake, injectors and fuel rails using the Holley HP. I was warned that the system would have to be tuned at idle but I didn't know enough about it to comprehend what I was being told. Once I fired the new engine up I learned quick what I was being told. Off idle it ran OK, but hunted for idle and would stall. The big companies pimp their EFI systems as "self learning" so the do it yourself-er thinks all he has to do is bolt it on and hit the key, that is far from the truth. Go to the Holley web site and check out their support section for their EFI. To keep the calls down at their call center they have an EFI guru that answers questions on line. You will find thousands of post about the "self learning" not learning especially at idle. Do a lot of reading there, you still will not know how to tune your EFI but you will realize a trip to a qualified professional will save you a lot of time and headache.
RTR

Man, if only there were companies that were seriously dedicated to spending millions of dollars on r&d of highly reliable EFI systems that worked under a broad range of conditions and engines and invested billions in quality inventory for which tuning software was readily available and tuning experts numbered in the thousands .... :stir:

halcat said:
I was talking to rafter b2000 at GMP during the Hardline ride and he was explaining how he took his new buggy and had his engines efi tuned . This piece of **** I now have is supposed to be self learning but it's dumber than I am. It floods at idle and runs hot so may be lean at throttle. Any body know of a place in middle tenn that can set this while engine is the buggy? It's the early version of the fast efi, not the 2.0
Do you have a power disconnect/kill switch? If so do you have the main 12v power supply from the ecu ran to it. If it is every time you kill the power the ecu has to relearn everything. Just asking because I have run into that situation.

patooyee said:
Man, if only there were companies that were seriously dedicated to spending millions of dollars on r&d of highly reliable EFI systems that worked under a broad range of conditions and engines and invested billions in quality inventory for which tuning software was readily available and tuning experts numbered in the thousands .... :stir:
I'm not smart enough to understand what you just said so I don't know if that is sarcasm or not. :dunno:

Re: Re: Fast EFI tuning

halcat said:
I'm not smart enough to understand what you just said so I don't know if that is sarcasm or not. :dunno:
It's kind of a poke at mna for not using factory mefi to start with. But in general it seems like there is a gm system for almost everything. I don't see why anyone thinks any small company has it more figured out than gm with all of its resources and engineers. Gm has injected everything from mild to wild by now. They've got 1200 HP 4 cylinders running their factory systems, thousands hp ls engines running it, and everything between. And there are legions of people out there who know how to tune them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

my holley hp efi learns just fine in idle.

most self learning systems needs to get to set operating temp before it starts learning.
holley has coolant temperature enrichment table it needs to be at 100% before learn can start.
you can pull battery cables out and all the tuning info stays in the box.

engines with open headers and very big cams makes O2 sensor read false in the idle. open headers pull external air in to o2 sensor and makes it read lean and ecu ads fuel to correct it. big cams with huge overlap makes idle tuning hard too.

for open headers just put some extension into o2 sensor side header and get the baseline tune and then take out the closed loop correction/learning from idle rpms and fine tune.
with big cams just tune manually and limit cl/learn from idle

Re: Re: Fast EFI tuning

patooyee said:
It's kind of a poke at mna for not using factory mefi to start with. But in general it seems like there is a gm system for almost everything. I don't see why anyone thinks any small company has it more figured out than gm with all of its resources and engineers. Gm has injected everything from mild to wild by now. They've got 1200 HP 4 cylinders running their factory systems, thousands hp ls engines running it, and everything between. And there are legions of people out there who know how to tune them.

Always wondered this myself when someone says they're running brand X fuel injection.

Re: Re: Re: Fast EFI tuning

patooyee said:

Then there's those big idiots that pull all that stuff off and slap propane on them!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Re: Fast EFI tuning

onepieceatatime said:
Then there's those big idiots that pull all that stuff off and slap propane on them!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I TOTALLY understand that. I can see the attraction of the simplicity. But aftermarket EFI has all the complications of GM EFI without any of the R&D.

What would you suggest GM wise for a 496 with brodex race rite heads. This engine was built around these heads with the air gap intake and makes around 600/620tq for power. Will the 8.1 fit? I have one with 350k miles on it. To tell the truth, I'd rather spend tuning money on this investment that start all over. These work good at the strip where they are not idleing so much. I'm older than most anybody on this forum, so I'm pretty old school. I

halcat said:
What would you suggest GM wise for a 496 with brodex race rite heads. This engine was built around these heads with the air gap intake and makes around 600/620tq for power. Will the 8.1 fit? I have one with 350k miles on it. To tell the truth, I'd rather spend tuning money on this investment that start all over. These work good at the strip where they are not idleing so much. I'm older than most anybody on this forum, so I'm pretty old school. I

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the Brodix heads but the way that the standard LS system is set up makes it adaptable to almost any engine if you can physically fit injectors. Of course, you have to have crank position sensor and all the other crap that makes it run. The 8.1L injection is the same system as the LS motors.

The big advantage to the oem GM "LS" efi is that it precisely monitors and controls a lot more than most of the bolt on aftermarket efi setups.

Crank position, cam position, 8 ignition coils, 8 fuel injectors, maf, map, cts, tps, knock sensors, O2 sensors, etc

Precise control over individual fuel and ignition events makes it much more tune able.

I'd say you'll be looking into a "higher end" aftermarket efi setup that uses a crank and cam position sensor, plus maybe even converting to coil packs, if you want a big cam big block to run at its full potential from idle to WOT.

But a simple cam change may get you into a range that the throttle body efi can deal with.

Timjus said:

most self learning systems needs to get to set operating temp before it starts learning.
holley has coolant temperature enrichment table it needs to be at 100% before learn can start.

engines with open headers and very big cams makes O2 sensor read false in the idle. open headers pull external air in to o2 sensor and makes it read lean and ecu ads fuel to correct it. big cams with huge overlap makes idle tuning hard too.

for open headers just put some extension into o2 sensor side header and get the baseline tune and then take out the closed loop correction/learning from idle rpms and fine tune.

How is your HP efi set up? What all sensors are you running on the engine to get your inputs? What ignition set up?

Timjus said:

I have the same system and mine runs great from idle to wide open. I agree with the open headers. I tried the open headers and could not get it to run right. I added about 2 feet of exhaust to the header and it runs great.