• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fastest tube bender?

Nuts

I have a manual JD2 bender and have been thinking about converting it to air/hydro for a while. The thing stopping me is that every setup I've seen has been slow as ****. I don't mind pulling the handle, I just want to get the bends done quicker. Is there a good pump that increases cylinder speed or a valve that flows more?

85toyo said:
If speed is what you're after go electric over hydro. Only thing stopping me is the $800 pump :****:
I'm ok with electric too. So which is the best/quickest for the money? Tonight I had to bend 20, 45* bends and the entire time I was thinking how stupidly slow the process was and that I'm ready to up grade

I've never used air over hydro, only seen some videos and they look stupid slow. Pretty sure I could bend faster manually. Then you have to listen to a compressor running the whole time.

Used a buddy's electric over hydro bender and it was fast and quite. Like I said in the previous post, the only down side to electric is the setup price which is why most people have air over hydro.

1TONTJ said:
The electric pump is twice as fast as the air / hydraulic pump. Its definitely worth the money.
x2 I ran air over for years and now work with electric over and would never go back, faster and quieter.

3p seconds to a 90 is unacceptable for me, I can beat that by hand. Which electric pump are you guys getting the best results from?

You can take an electric motor 115v and put on a v belt pully and get an automotive power steering pump and a log spitter valve and a double acting cylinder and it will bend instantly and as fast as you want it too but controllability will be the the thing with this setup. But I have seen it done and it works great but it's homebrew.

I run air over hydraulic and it does .250wall 90degrees no issue it all...I mean it dosent take more than a couple mins...

Unless you need 1.0min/unit cycle time....and plan to produce 50k of them a year....I would just keep it simple.

I have a lift in my shop so I used a couple quick connects and use the pump on it for my bender. I can bend 180 in under 30 sec

I converted my JD2 model 3 to hydro and it is too fast. You have to really throttle back as to not overbend.

Trailpunisher said:
I have a lift in my shop so I used a couple quick connects and use the pump on it for my bender. I can bend 180 in under 30 sec

I was wondering when somebody was going to do this. If I ever get a shop that I can set my lift up in, and a bender, and time, I'l be doing this. Where/what fittings did you get or use?

Puppy said:
I converted my JD2 model 3 to hydro and it is too fast. You have to really throttle back as to not overbend.
I was thinking about making a plate with removable stops for the more common angles so theres no over-bending