• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fat azz buggy problems

tommy450r

I weighed my buggy it's 4260 lbs ready to ride with my fat ass in it im 280. It's got cucv axles F/R 2" .250 wall link bars and a .250 thick steel skid plate what would be the best way for it to loose a few pounds without me buying a treadmill lol.....

I'm gonna loose the skid plate for aluminum or 3/16 stainless not sure yet. And I'm gonna go from allied steel beadlocks with 44" tsl to aluminum wheels and 43" stickies. So what do yall say I do next??

Ha wheels and tires will weigh more! Depending on tread depth I guess? Mine were clapped out cut 44 tsl's and steel bl with aluminum rings/ racelines stickies steel ring 26# more per! :dunno:
Just push the gas more booyang :drinkers:

Re:

Seal up all tubes in the chassis....install fill plug and cram as much helium in there that ya can!? ;)

Seriously though.... Only things that come to mind are:
Aluminum hubs
1/2 ton brake conversion
6 lug conversion
Cut/grooved tires
Cut down winch/rope(40-50ft)

Some of those are hair splitters...but like in drag racing, "every ounce counts"

Now....on those Chevy hubs ya got...I'd be willing to toss ya few bucks for them if ya went the aluminum route. :)

Lol that's my luck on the new wheels an tires weighing more. Is 4260 heavy for a bouncer? I'm not gonna go full retard an start cutting my winch and doing aluminum hubs I like to do some hill killing but I also don't care if someone can make a hill that I cant...

My buggy is a bouncer but I do a lot of trail riding and beer drinking so I need a full spool of winch rope for them shitty spots and I will be swapping to a 14 bolt front before long and adding even more weight :woody: :eek:

Mine is practically to the pound same weight. Dont really think that is to bad. Most people that do everything to cut weight from the beginning usually end up at 3500. So I think you are good on the weight.

Re:

Maybe try running air shocks instead of coilovers?

Sounds like you have an awesome reliable rig though. I'd jus keep tossin gas in it and having fun.

Yea I will proly just leave it alone but I wanted to make sure some of yall on here didn't know of something I,could change up that I haven't thought of yet..

I do have a line on a all aluminum 5.3 that's complete for 1500 bucks but even that ant really gonna save much. I guess a guy would have to spend 5k+ to even make a noticeable difference. and as of now it's not worth that for what I do.

On a side note I seen a guy in a toyota buggy out riding the other day that had no back brakes what so ever!! Not even a mount for disk or drums!!! I guess that's always a option haha

To me, your size and weight are not too far off for what you want you are wanting to do. Remember this though, your weight will help you stay down while bouncing, so it might be just re tuning your shocks to the weight of your buggy might make it more comfortable. Without just cutting the crap out of everything and spending 500 pounds of cash, I'd leave it alone and rock on. Just my .02 and not much more. :dunno:

I agree wth said above, spending that much time and money to shed 500lbs isn't worth it in my opinion, you'll get minimal gains, spend the money on more hp to carry the weight ! It'd be easier and more fun!

It's a damn nice rig. I wouldn't worry much about the weight your at. Sounds like you need more woo pow. Did you get your motor swapped?

pholmann said:
It's a damn nice rig. I wouldn't worry much about the weight your at. Sounds like you need more woo pow. Did you get your motor swapped?

No I haven't got the ly6 yet but I did get the 5.3 running like it should.I'm working on new wheels an tires and getting the 14 bolt front finished up at the moment then will build a motor. It's performing great dosent really have a lack of power I can pull 2nd gear great I was mainly just curious as to what other bouncers weigh..

tommy450r said:
Yea I will proly just leave it alone but I wanted to make sure some of yall on here didn't know of something I,could change up that I haven't thought of yet..

I do have a line on a all aluminum 5.3 that's complete for 1500 bucks but even that ant really gonna save much. I guess a guy would have to spend 5k+ to even make a noticeable difference. and as of now it's not worth that for what I do.

On a side note I seen a guy in a toyota buggy out riding the other day that had no back brakes what so ever!! Not even a mount for disk or drums!!! I guess that's always a option haha

Wonder if it had a pinion brake on transfer case output or something?

creepycrawly said:
Wonder if it had a pinion brake on transfer case output or something?

nope i asked him about it and he said its locked in 4x4 all time so the front stops it!!!! i asked what happens when he looses a driveline or a axle shaft he didnt have a reply.. :dunno:

tommy450r said:
nope i asked him about it and he said its locked in 4x4 all time so the front stops it!!!! i asked what happens when he looses a driveline or a axle shaft he didnt have a reply.. :dunno:
I've seen it several times! It's not a good idea, usually because if they built a yota they are on a budget the factory brakes or brake lines weren't any good so they just unhook the line and rock out! Makes you not want to ride in front of or behind that rig haha

Aluminum Hubs front and rear will save you around 250lbs total maybe a little more, plus free up rotating mass. However I don't think your buggy is really that heavy. Truth be told most people don't have a clue what there buggy weighs and just assume it only weighs 3500lbs. My little Jims Garage buggy weighed 4300lbs with me in ready to ride.

So your buggy is under 4000 without you in it, seems plenty light to me.

Pretty much any Toyota with a cab and a cage weighs over 4000.

I'd probably do a 1/2 ton brake swap on the front and synthetic rope if you have cable and call it good. :dblthumb:

Latest posts