• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Few cj question?

97f250

wanna get all the parts before i tear into it so...i got a 68 ford 302 motor in my jeep cj5 wit a t18 and d 20 on it. .. if i pull the 302 and go back to the 304 will the bell housing bolt upto the t18 tranny (the ford t18). or do i have to find a new one i have both the bell houseing off both motors..and the original skid plat did not seem to line up even close to the t18 but i have read a bunch on how it should any one try it and be succesful..and will the clutch work from the 302 set up to the 304 or vise versa..and isthe 304 and 360 the same block would all these question be the same for the 360 or even 401

wanna get all the parts before i tear into it so...i got a 68 ford 302 motor in my jeep cj5 wit a t18 and d 20 on it. .. if i pull the 302 and go back to the 304 will the bell housing bolt upto the t18 tranny (the ford t18). or do i have to find a new one i have both the bell houseing off both motors..and the original skid plat did not seem to line up even close to the t18 but i have read a bunch on how it should any one try it and be succesful..and will the clutch work from the 302 set up to the 304 or vise versa..and isthe 304 and 360 the same block would all these question be the same for the 360 or even 401

The Ford and AMC use different bell housing and input shafts. So you'll need to rebuild or exchange the transmission also. The AMC bell housing will indeed bolt to your T18, but won't bolt to the ford block. The ford bell housing will also bolt to the T18, but won't bolt to the AMC block.

The AMC 304 / 360 / 401 are externally the same block. The 360 is a bored 304. The 401 is a stroked 360. The 401 also uses forged crank and connecting rods, and because of that is externally ballanced by the harmonic ballancer and flexplate / flywheel.

Your best bet is to keep the 302. It's a good motor.

If you are set on going back to AMC power, look for a complete rig (such as a Gremlin, PacerX, Matador) to steal parts from. Also, the Swap Meet is coming up in March, and it's a good source of stuff.

Last edited:
i just dont like the motor mounting and how the radiator has to be changed the power steering set up on it is goffy and wiring it up and the 68 69 302 are different from any other years out there.. it is a strong running motor just wanted to make things simpler wit going back to the 304 motor so the 304 ball houseing will bolt to the t18 thought just got to look into a different output shaft?

You can put the 304 back in "if" you have a jeep 76-79 T-150 3 speed bellhousing This bell will bolt up directly to the ford tranny and you can use the ford inout shaft but you will have to use either a adapter type bushing in the crank (advanced adapters) or have a ford one machined down to fit in the jeep crank. This is exactly the swap I did in reverse on my jeep when I went from the jeep 6 to the sbf.

i have the t-150 it was in the jeep when i got it.so you put the sbf in with the t 150 tranny?

I swapped a T-18 into my CJ with a 258 in it. All I had to do was get a pilot bushing turned down to fit the Jeep Crank, and drill/tap the bottom holes in the stock jeep bellhousing (T-5) to accept the lower bolts.

If you have the T-150 bell housing, it will swap right back in, no input shaft change. Just a different pilot bushing.

i have the t-150 it was in the jeep when i got it.so you put the sbf in with the t 150 tranny?

Nope, I have a ford version T-18. The pattern on the ford T-18 is the same as a jeep T-150. If you have that bell housing then all you will need is a pilot bushing as described and a preasure plate that works with the jeep flywheel. You can even keep the throwout bearing and the clutch disc as long as it matches the dia, of the preasure plate. BillyBobs in edgewood might even have the bushing.

so what about the skid plate then i have read it should bolt up with few mods to it but i cant seem to make it even close at all.. i just fabed up some metal to work to hold it in while i figure the rest out ..

Mine just bolted up to the stock crossmember I did put some spacers between the plate and the x-member so it didnt rub on the bottom of the tranny

dont wase your time put a chevy in there.. it easy and you will not have any issues.

dont think i would ever do that! jeep would never run! i put a chevy carb on it out of a camaro and it aint started since!!

just was thinking that going back to amc would be easyer cables and could geta stock wiring harness clutch z bar radiator fan and i have a spare motor to rob parts if ever needed that way...i like that 302 it sounded good when i had it running and pretty stappy but just seemes to be a lot more work than i can do wit standered hand tools.. just exploring my oppions though wanted to see what you guys say