• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Few Updates to the TJ

Yeah a buyer came along, I haven't really been pushing the for sale ads but with the deal I scored on the KMC's it is a no-brainer. I know I have talked about a buggy a lot lately, but I would hate to part with my jeep because I have had it for so long and I have put a ton of time into it. I have shaved a bunch of weight off it and it should be even more capable now, plus it looks good!

I am planning to do something later this year and I am leaning towards buying a used single seat rig for hardcore use and comp use, and the TJ for trail riding when the wife and dog want to come along. There are still some things I would like to add to TJ like coilovers in the front and an Atlas. We are having a biggest loser comp at work and first prize is 1k, dad said he would match that if I won. I have a ton of weight to loose and if I win I will be buying an atlas. At this point I cannot even entertain buggy thoughts without selling my rig, and even then it is a stretch. We have a 30k pool to buy, 15k in furniture and the list goes on and on.

I have repeatedy tried to have two trail rigs...one for me and one for the family. I ALWAYS end up diluting my build on one or the other to fun one or the other.

Also, when I go, I wish I had the other, not the one I bought.

That is why I built the 4 seater kate and then after I built it I was diguested with the build and the money I spent on it and I went full balls into a tiny rig that spanked everything.

Now I realize that having a buggy that laughs at everything I ever point it at is not all that. I would rather have something that is not quite as good, but damn good when i want to fill the seats.

Anyway, take it from someone that has literally thrown away over 100K in bad desicions in the last 11 years of wheeling.

You need one rig. Make yours as nice as you want and when you want to buck up and get a buggy. Just do it.

The TJ looks great Matt. That hood is incredible. Good work!

Nolen, why does Julie want a pool?? You have the pond in front of the house she can swim in. dunno skully

Thanks guys, I am wheelin the TJ hard this year and we will see how it responds. Next Nov/Dec I will see how the funds are doing and make a decision from there

Well my post above this makes me laugh as I have been wheel-less for going on 2 months and wheeled twice in 2008. I think you all know about the KMC fawk up, so I went WE. They should ship next week sometime. I will miss the wheeling this weekend in MMORV, but I will be there to help work and watch. I have not touched it since WOW, have been burned out on it. It has sprung a few leaks since then, but I have the parts to fix it all.

I started pulling the front end down today and I made really good progress. Wheel bearings on the driver side were in great shape, only had to add a new seal on that side. Passenger side inner wheel bearing was seized up on the spindle, so that was fun to get off. and of course the bearing was ruined. Had to replace both bearings and the seal on that side. I also replaced a leaky pinion seal up front which took all of 10 minutes, easiest job all day! Everything is cleaned, greased and ready to be re-installed.

I decided to go with Alloy USA Inner Shafts for some insurance for a few long trips I have planned. Machinewave hooked me up with both inners and a spare outer shaft. They should be here this week and I will swap the joints over to them and put them back in. I also have to replace the inner axle seals, so I will be pulling the carrier next Sunday and hopefully putting the rest of it back together. This is the 4th time I have been in the front axle since it was swapped in. It is a dirty, messy job.

BamaTJ said:
It is a dirty, messy job.

....but somebodies got to do it.

Sounds like all good progress. Cant wait for your WE's to get in. Your **** will be bangin'. Then wheel it for how long??? Before you sell for a buggy?

Good to take time off. I'm glad you were able to get your head cleared. The KMC deal clouded ya all up. Sucked but now its over and behind ya.

I plan to wheel it through Oct or so. Really have to see how much out of pocket we have to come out to outfit the new crib, then I can make a better decision on timeframe. I should have both axles and the atlas by end of May, then I will start slowly accumulating parts till it is time

Heck yeah, got a late start today but got it all knocked out. Front end is completely back together witn new alloy usa inners and my same yukon outers. I did not have to grind the inners at all, so that was nice because I have heard horror stories about fitment. I did take the edges off the back of the yokes just to be safe, but I could of got away without it. Swapping those inner axle sales is a pain, but I got it done. I am now just waiting on wheels to be ready to ride!!!!

BamaTJ said:
Heck yeah, got a late start today but got it all knocked out. Front end is completely back together witn new alloy usa inners and my same yukon outers. I did not have to grind the inners at all, so that was nice because I have heard horror stories about fitment. I did take the edges off the back of the yokes just to be safe, but I could of got away without it. Swapping those inner axle sales is a pain, but I got it done. I am now just waiting on wheels to be ready to ride!!!!

man, i posted just about the same info on my new alloy USA shafts over in the F day thread.......i did put them in and looked at the inner yoke and there was only ONE LITTLE place that looked like it might even come close to rubbing...so i smoothed them off...

trevor told me he took off almost 1/4" of material between his inner C and yoke grinding...

tew bad fer him......lol.....

under_psi said:
trevor told me he took off almost 1/4" of material between his inner C and yoke grinding...

tew bad fer him......lol.....

:flipgotcha: Guess I am just not lucky like you guys. :-*

Aren't you kinda glad you did not take your clean WOW rig to that slop-fest at MM this weekend? I know the wheel thing has been horrible, but to have all that mud on your clean rig would have been horrible :eek:

Have you called Mike to see if TR is really shipping today?

wngrog said:
Aren't you kinda glad you did not take your clean WOW rig to that slop-fest at MM this weekend? I know the wheel thing has been horrible, but to have all that mud on your clean rig would have been horrible :eek:

Have you called Mike to see if TR is really shipping today?

Yeah the wife and I said several times that we were happy not to have the rig there. Too much traffic, terrible conditions, etc. I need to check with Mike today, should be on their way though!

Mike, disregard my PM I just spoke with Larry at TR. Wheels shipped out on Friday and will land this Friday. I am super happy, can't wait to get em.

BamaTJ said:
Yeah the wife and I said several times that we were happy not to have the rig there. Too much traffic, terrible conditions, etc. I need to check with Mike today, should be on their way though!

Your wife was there? WTF dude, no introductions?

Ass.

Yeah she provided you with change and was sitting under the tent where you pay. She commennted tom me about how cute your son was multiple times.