• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

fire suit best for the money

jeeptj99

I'm looking at racing ECOR coming up this year and one of the requirements is a fire suit. What is the best for the money with out completely destroying the bank? I'm also what some might consider a large fellow (6'1" ~300) so that plays into effect. I don't mind spending money on a good one just trying to weight out options.

I bought the cheapest one I could find and spent some money on cold fire exstinguishers. I figured since I would only wear mine maybe 4 days a year and really only need it for 2 hills I would spend the money elsewhere. It is uncomfortable as **** and when they asked what size sweat suit I wore because they were sized similar fat boy shoulda said xxl instead of xl. If I was doing more endurance type stuff like you I would not go cheap and get with a company that makes them.

Crow makes a nice one for a little over $100. get it one size larger than what you normally wear in street clothes.

IMO fire suits are like helmets. If you have a $50 head get a $50 helmet. I prefer a SFI3.2A/5 suit AND nomex underwear. The multi-layer suits of this rating are the cheaper ones but some can provide this rating with a single layer suit. You typically gain ergonomics (less bunching of the suit when seated/buckled) and breathability as the price goes up. The lesser rated SFI3.2A/1 suits are only required to protect the driver from a 2nd degree burn for 3 seconds or so to be rated as such. The 3.2A/5 suits IIRC are in the 10 second range. I can't remember the last time I saw someone out of a buggy in less than 10 seconds once the SHTF.

Bang for the buck: http://www.saferacer.com/sparco-jade-racing-suit

Mongo44 said:
Its like riding around in a sauna.

I only used my suit for 1 season and if TBItoy still has it, you are welcome to it.

what did you use it for? and if your big ass fits in it surely to God mine will too hah.

I wear a Sparco two piece fire suit for my part time job at a race track here in Florida, It is not that bad, It breathes well and is not too hot even during summer.

NOT a fan of 2 piece suits. I've worn one before, blasting through dusty/sandy/shitty areas it all went down my seat and filled the bottom of my fire suit with sand. in my ass crack. Also when I was contorting out of the window hole the top pulls up and exposes your whole midriff and I don't want burned there either.

I guess if you're working a track a two piece wouldn't be bad. But yeah crawling over a hip bar or out of a window or through a cage exposing my ass crack isn't something I want to do haha.

jeeptj99 said:
I guess if you're working a track a two piece wouldn't be bad. But yeah crawling over a hip bar or out of a window or through a cage exposing my ass crack isn't something I want to do haha.
Don't watch me at a srrs race getting in and out of mine!!!! molaugh