• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fires!

al1tonyota

I just wanted to take a minute and point out something that is getting overlooked on a lot of trail rigs and especially rock bouncers! With the increased challenges and demands on our buggies I believe fire safety isn't going up with the horsepower numbers. Rigs of all levels from a stock 4x4 all the way up to full built tube chassis are in a lot of situations that fires can happen quickly from extreme angles to rocks catching a fuel lines. There are plenty of options out there from a $20 extinguisher with a plastic mount to a full halon fire suppression system. I have seen a lot of small fires that were put out with a handy beverage or dirt but in reality if everyone had at least a small extinguisher the risk of a large fire would go down a lot! I have two extinguishers mounted on quick realease mounts from Offroad Solutions one inside within reach of the passenger or driver and one on the rear axle so that a bystander can put me or my buggy out in the event of a fire! Check out the different mounting options at www.ors4x4.com

Their mounts are pretty cool. Fire is certainly a scary thing and I wish more people had them mounted in better locations.

I also think it would be advisable to have bystanders at the "showtime" style obstacles with extinguishers handy.

Certainly feel for Justin after that fire, but sure glad they were alright.

I agree 100%. I've had 5 vw rail buggys and people never see them catch fire but they do. 3 out of 5 have flamed up with me. Luckly all small fires and easily contained. I look at it like cheap insurance. 20 bucks could potentially save your 20,000 dollar rig. Food for thought. Good topic. I think the unfortunate events that unfolded at Grey Rock this weekend have opened a lot of eyes to fire safety.

Have always carried an extinguisher, but never used one until this weekend at Gray Rock. Tossed mine to somebody to use on Justins rig. I plan on replacing it with 2 extinguishers.

Opinion on whether to carry an ABC or just a Class B extinguisher?

What about these things?
http://www.fire-gone.com/index.html

ridered3 said:
I also think it would be advisable to have bystanders at the "showtime" style obstacles with extinguishers handy.

I also was thinking about this the other day, several people had the small extinguishers and used them saturday.
Maybe the big ass extinguishers need to be toted around by some of us :tc since you cant always get a fire truck to the trail. :dunno:

I tell you, it usually only takes your rig catching fire once for you to get serious about fire safety. My jeep caught at Windrock after the t-case vent dumped some gear oil on the muffler during an off camber climb. The guy at the top of the hill spotted it and was able to put it out with the extinguisher from my jeep. The only issue I had was he didn't know where it was (mounted to the cage just below the tub line). Since then I run one extinguisher on each side and I put big "Fire Extinguisher" stickers on the cage right above them.

After seeing what is left of this rig I might stick another 1 or 2 in the jeep where they can be reached from the driver and passenger seat while strapped in.

The number of buggys / rigs / jeeps that I see at EVERY ride / event we go to that DO NOT have fire extinguishers in / on them blows my mind.

fire extinguishers are only part of the issue i think. having vent tubes that do not vent to some sort of catch can only add to the potential of having a fire. catch cans, fire extinguishers, manual shut off valves at the fuel cell are all safety items that everyone should consider.

it sounds like in justin's case a cracked fuel rail was the culprit? unfortunately somethings you cannot prevent and i hope he can get back out on the trails soon.

Another thing that has helped on mine is the exhaust is wrapped from the head flange all the way to the tip my power steering has boiled over and puked on the headers but it doesn't catch fire just smokes like crazy!

zjtrey said:
Got any contact info?

Pm Jduck on pirate4x4, you won't find cheaper ones

Here's what they look like
045.jpg

Neal3000 said:
Pm Jduck on pirate4x4, you won't find cheaper ones

Here's what they look like
045.jpg

i agree there aren't cheaper ones out there... I did a bunch of searching a while back and couldn't bring myself to spend 70+ on such a simple part...

we've had a couple of fires within our small group over the years luckily no injuries or rigs damaged badly..

OP Thanks for starting this thread.... certainly needed

PM sent do jduck on pirate... appreciate the info!

I work for nascar part time at a race track here in Florida on my days off from the fire department I work at. On our rescue trucks at the track we carry water cans with 6% AFFF added to them with foam nozzles they seem to get the job done pretty well. You don't have to pay to have them refilled either. The only down fall to them is they 're bulky.