• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fj80 or chevy one ton? Under my runner

Not your toy 85

I'm torn... Keep building my yota minis or ditch em and go big? I'm in em pretty good but keep breaking normal components.. In the last month I've taken out a rear Detroit, welded 4 pinion v6 carrier, two rear shafts, and a front hub or two. Front has original 30 spl longs/ hub gears, arb, 4.88s and normal diff protection. Rear is pretty much stock with 4.88s.

My question to you is : keep building or explore the 80 series or chevy tons?
I'm asking because eventually this winter I'm planning on 5.3 th400 and larger meats around 40".

Looking for opinions and if you've ran one or the other if it was worth it to you?

Thanks, J.C.

Ran minis for years with a few issues here and there. But if I only knew then, I would have went tons long ago. With your plans just go tons and never look back.

That's what I was thinking with 80s they have the larger birfields but same size ring gear. So a more expensive mini so to say. Thanks for the input so far!

I run fj80 elockers f/r, a tired sbc on pane followed by toy junk behind it. (turbo 5spd, dual cases w/ 4.7 in the rear case) and 40ltb in a tube chassis that ways right @ 4k. If you build them right they are fairly strong. I have had good luck with them, but they are NOT as strong as tons.

But a one ton jeep was following me on monday and broke a stock 35 spline inner taking out the locker to I believe, so a lot depends on driving style. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Here lately it seems my give a damn has been busted. Line lock and heavy right foot. So I do believe its time to do something about it. I'll be fixing what I got and posting them shortly lol

I run IFS Toy rear and FJ80 front. I just ordered some RCV's that are supposed to be the strongest shafts made now for the FJ80's and I think I'll have mine pretty solid. Mostly all I've broke was inner Longfield shafts, never broke anything in the rear. Knock on wood, I never have had any trouble from ring and pinion and still run factory e locker on 39" Red Label stickies, dual cases with 4.7 in rear, and 5:29 gears in diffs with built 22r 4 cyl.

With that said, Don't waste your time with anything besides tons, especially if you are contemplating a v8 swap.

Ford 60 (so you get the high pinion gear strength) and a 14 bolt

I ran fj80 axles with a 4.3 v6 on 39" krawlers and they were fine. But you step up to LS power and you won't want them toyota axles.

My buggy has a 6.0 and chevy 60 and 14 bolt. Wish I had built around a ford hp 60.......

Tons all the way if you're planning on a 5.3 or similar power train. Who knows, you may have a blast with a 22r/re on tons. My last one I could punish on 42's and I can't drive worth a damn.

Lol, yea you may be right I've got a super charger I could slap on the ole re. Thanks for all the input guys! It's been really helpful.