• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford 4.0 V6 into Jeep

Jeepasaurusrex

Does anyone have an idea on what it would take to drop a 4.0 V6 from a Exploder into a 67 CJ-5? What bell housing pattern does the block have? Electronics? My friend has a exploder he is parting out with a good running V6. His CJ currently has the original Dauntless V6. :corn:

You could also put a C4 in it... but the only converter off the shelf that works with it is for a 2.8, and is way loose behind the 4.0. You can have a custom lower stall converter made, but it still isn't very streetable.

Best bet for a trans would be the M5OD 5 speed. Which is kinda long for a Jeep application, and you would only be able to use the RBV t-cases, which are driver's drop.

Great motor, limited transmission options. :booo:

Yea, that's my thinking.. Great motor, and its free. Its just the connection issues that's keeping us from dropping it in. Does anyone make a stand alone computer harness like Painless does for the 4.3? :corn:

I don't know about a stand alone harness, but the stock harnesses aren't too hard to thin. A haynes manual and a little common sense and it could be done in a day. Get an FSM and it'll go even quicker.

I did a 4.3 harness a few years ago. Piece of cake. I was an avionics technician in the Army, so electrical is a breeze. My biggest hang up right now is hooking it to a quality tranny.

It has an auto behind it. I would probably have to put a manual tranny ECU in it? Is the crank drilled for a pilot bushing? I could build an adapter plate to bolt up a standard Ford bell housing, but that would take a lot of work.

In the stock manual application, they actually take the pilot bearing in the flywheel, but it will fit in the crank. Same whether they had an auto/manual. The manual computer is preferred. It will work with an auto computer, but it will idle higher and it will throw codes looking for the trans solenoids. The manual computer also has a more aggressive timing curve.