• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ford 8.8 help!

mikemounlio

My buggy has a ford 8.8 from a 78 bronco. It has 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. The buggy has 38.5 sx now. It had 39.5 iroks for 2 years. Back when i had my jeep tj i wanted to swap to a ford 8.8. It seemed back then like 37" tires were about the max for the stock 8.8. I know how the builder wheeled and the skinny pedal was used when needed. He says he has never broken the 8.8 and i trust him.

So is the older 8.8 with 31 spline shafts just stronger then the explorer 8.8's?

Re:

They're probably just a little bit longer which allows them to twist/flex maybe just a tad more.

8.8 is a pretty tough axle. Crush spacer is a weak link...with carrier being next.

It has a detroit with stock axle shafts. If i snap an axle i will go to cm shafts. I wheel a easier then the last guy so i hope ill be fine for a long time.

Well i may have my numbers wrong then. Its a 8.8 from a bronco. I guess the steering box was from a 78.

Get the the Yukon ultimate 88 kit. It's reasonable and does a c clip eliminator. They make a crush sleeve eliminator kit and if you can install it without blowing your brains out it's worth it. Fighting that last thousandth of an inch can be slightly annoying

When the time comes to buy a new shaft ill look for the 88 kit. thanks. I Knew about the 88 kit for some ime now tho.

My main question was about how strong this axle is compared to how strong others make it out to be. It seems like its strong enough but lots of people out there say its only a tiny bit better then a dana 44. From what i have seen of it its way better.

Re:

The 44 jus has weak tubes....both are pretty strong given good ring and pinion setup.

I didn't like the 8.8 kit. The c clips are no big deal on a disk brake axle....wheel won't slide off. It also commits you to THIER axles. No more junkyard spares for quick fixes. If anything. ...jus get alloy stockers.

I had one in my old YJ from an explorer with 4.88 gears and an eaton locker running on 37s and I didn't know what the brake was even there for. An 8.8 does a pretty damn good job for the money.