• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford HP60 Brakes

BamaTJ

Hardline Crawler
So I had massive spindle failure a few rides back and the only thing holding the wheel/hub on was the caliper. Now I cannot get the caliper to stay in the bracket. The caliper has fallen off inside the wheel about 4 times now, every time I lose the spring/wedge that holds it in and now I have had two of the retaining bolts break off in the bracket. I feel like the spindle failure tweaked the bracket enough to allow the caliper to work free. I am at the point where I need a new bracket, but I am having trouble finding one. Anyone know a place to buy the stock caliper bracket, or are there any aftermarket solutions to solve this problem?

Anybody have conversion suggestions or info on a way to go to the 3/4 ton chevy brakes and keep my Ford Knuckes and Hubs?

I'm sure you've already googled it but is this what you're looking for? Also, I'm not sure what material your Deden knuckles are but I used Bent&Twisted Super knuckles on my CJ and they sent basically just threaded caliper tabs that you could weld on the knuckle for whatever caliper and rotor combination that you were running. None of this will probably help you with yours but I'm trying to keep up with Kelly in the verbage usage! ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-79-Ford-Front-Dana-60-Disc-Brake-Caliper-Mounts_W0QQitemZ260127631792QQcmdZViewItem

And did you find a source on the little wedge spring metal piece that you use to keep tension on and still let it float?
I wouldn't mind a couple sets of those.

6uldv8 said:
I'm sure you've already googled it but is this what you're looking for? Also, I'm not sure what material your Deden knuckles are but I used Bent&Twisted Super knuckles on my CJ and they sent basically just threaded caliper tabs that you could weld on the knuckle for whatever caliper and rotor combination that you were running. None of this will probably help you with yours but I'm trying to keep up with Kelly in the verbage usage! ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-79-Ford-Front-Dana-60-Disc-Brake-Caliper-Mounts_W0QQitemZ260127631792QQcmdZViewItem
he needs the part that has the 5 bolt circle in it that goes over the spindle, that looks like a friggin caliper cradle for a 4 piston caliper. I always assumed I would make up a plate for my hp when it came to keep the brakes cheap and simple. I know someone out there make the chebby 3/4 ton bracket. did you call highhonda?

Highhonda was my first call, and you would think they sell just the wedge put they do not. Maybe at the Ford Dealer but not the parts house. I finally found an answer and that was BlackBird Customs. They have a pair of brackets for Ford 8 lug fronts that allow you to run 3/4 chevy stuff instead of those monster 2 piston ford calipers. No mods to the ford hubs are required, just need chevy rotors and calipers. Those are cheap an easy.

BamaTJ said:
Highhonda was my first call, and you would think they sell just the wedge put they do not. Maybe at the Ford Dealer but not the parts house. I finally found an answer and that was BlackBird Customs. They have a pair of brackets for Ford 8 lug fronts that allow you to run 3/4 chevy stuff instead of those monster 2 piston ford calipers. No mods to the ford hubs are required, just need chevy rotors and calipers. Those are cheap an easy.

Got a link on the web ? That to me would be a very smart swap. those big 2 piston ford shits are expensive and high maintenance on a trial rig ( retainer bolt gets damaged, Matt O cant keep the spring intact... and so forth :flipoff1: )

Nice find did you order a set or are they to much $$ ( lets fab some up :eek: )

They are $120/pair then just chevy rotors and loaded calipers. I wouldn not think that would be more than $100 or so. This time the bolt broke off that holds the wedge in place (2nd time), so I would have to get a new caliper bracket anyways. I absolutely hate the design of the 1 ton **** with the wedge, spring, bolt crap. It does not work and it keeps fawking me on the trail. I can sell the old **** to fund the new so it should be cheap in the end. Plus I am down another wedge and those suck to find by themselves.

http://www.blackbirdscustomtrucks.com/index4.html

Good find that looks like a great longterm investment. Hell the first time one of those Ford calipers hangs or gets bad youll be ahead in replacement cost. They run like 80 bucks a piece ! When you do the swap get with me and I can save you a few $ on the GM stuff through my account with Advance Autoparts. :-*

Need to order the Advance Parts next week, probably eary in the week. I will give you the parts I need based on what works with the kit.

Couldnt you use Chevy caliper brackets and calipers on the Ford 60 front end ? Im trying to figure this out for myself so i can run 15 inch wheels on my Ford high pinion 6 front end , or will this not work? I have a extra Chevy front i can rob parts from.

in short...no the spindle bolt pattern is different from Ford to Chevy. Check out Blackbird customs, they make a bolt on bracket kit for the Ford 60 to run Chevy 3/4 ton calipers/rotors. I have it on my Ford 60...great product and fast shipping.

Brian

I've had that problem with mine and I ended up modifying the H shaped piece. You can get them dirt cheap from rock auto with the flat springs. I'm looking at making some brackets for chevy calipers in the very near future though cause no matter how tight mine are after 5 minutes they rattle and are loose.

the problem I had with my original bracket was it was old and rusted, so some of the material was actually gone where the H piece sits. I laid a little bead down with the welder and ground it smooth to add some material back....that worked for a little while. next mod was the Chevy kit

Wide Open Design also sells the 1/2 ton conversion brackets for the ford 60 I got mine from them only problem to watch for is the correct 1/2 or 3/4 ton caliper I had to use a 85 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 truck front calipers some of the other designs wont clear the knuckle good luck !!

Latest posts