• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford Superduty Questions

Willymutt

I'm looking at an 03 F350 with a 7.3 in it. The owner said the dash will shut off and the windows won't work but then start working again. He has researched it and so have I and it sounds like the delay relay could be the culperate. On the 03's it is part of the dash. Has anyone run into this before or know how easy it is to fix? I looked online and Summit has new clusters for $200 that they will program to your mileage and VIN. That didn't seem too bad.

He also mentioned that there is an oil leak at the base of the HPOP. This seems to be a common issue on them also. Just looking for opinions on these problems and how hard they are to fix. The truck is 7 hours away and owned by a fellow wheeler that I know so I don't have any reason to not believe these are the issues. Just new to the PS world after having a Dodge for the last 4 years.

Anything else to look for on them?

I have heard of a GEM?? module behind the dash that controls several of the trucks components. Water drips down the harness and into the module causing problems. I would research that and see if your issue is similar.
Try to be able to start the truck when it is dead cold and not have been plugged in (block heater). This will give a chance to see the starting system and fuel system performance.
If you can jack up the front of the truck and check the unit bearing and steering for wear, I would do so. Especially if it is lifted or had larger wheels/tires.

I own an 02 F-250 cc4x4. I am very happy with it. These truck are not perfect but they do have a lot of the things I wanted in a tow rig.

My truck goes through cycles where the windows/radio doesn't work. Only does it every few months then it will do it for a day or so. Odd. Usually I can turn the truck off, then back on and it works fine.

I had a 03 F250 for a company vehicle and the gauges would go out from time to time. Turns out there was a wire getting pinched on the column when I used the tilt and it skinned it and would ground out from time to time.

ibrokeit said:
My truck goes through cycles where the windows/radio doesn't work. Only does it every few months then it will do it for a day or so. Odd. Usually I can turn the truck off, then back on and it works fine.
I have an 02 7.3cc4x4 my truck was doing the very same thing. starting getting worse, had to turn key off and on several times to get windows and radio to start working.
it had something to do with a micro switch in the door latches. I bought a can of wd 40 and sprayed inside the key hole and inside the latches until the wd40 ran out the bottoms of the doors.
I did all four doors for the hell of it. it hasn't acted up since doing this and that was 6 months ago. supposedly a common condition on ford products. f150 to navigators.
hope this helps.
on the water drip into the gem, we have had that happen on a friends super duty. really have to pull windshield and replace seal, and usually repair rust damage under seal.