• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Front deck toyhauler, build

leeman1790

Hoping to get some opinions/ideas from hardline. I picked up a camper from a guy I work with for 800bucks, it ended up being in way better condition then I expected. Pretty much everything works except the AC, which isn't cooling, and a missing window pane on the left side. and He put a new roof on it 2 years ago. My 2 days of thinking plan is to clean the inside up some and update it here and there. Probably add some Led lighting. and that it's short enough to cut the tongue off it and build a deck to drive a RZR on sideways.

My rzr sideways would be too wide according to the law. How strict are they on that? also thought about building the main tongue/frame and having a thin deck on that mounted to a truck hub bearing where I could load sideways then spin it around in line with truck and trailer. But I'm already thinking it would be long for a bumper humper.

I plan on having to brace the frame back to the axles to keep it from shearing in half or frame flex ripping my new stabbin cabin apart. Need to look into the 5lug axles it has too. Whatch y'all think?

Here's the camper and some new setups similar to what I was thinking
0e4435a4a1e13fd670ad40113bd4a5de.jpg

6242700f7f702023b24b9983b6ea05c1.jpg
3e3d162c79f176ea28af15c1567a967c.jpg

dd2bd3911ae3ae0f17d3f84352c00846.jpg

e2e676eaa9623d7f93bd1d16cbac18b8.jpg
9b545530acd4d0908b49e014df6899d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Front deck toyhauler, possible build

I bought the midsize ranger cause of how short it is in overall length. I've found they are very lienant on the width law, unless you are pulling a commercial trailer.

Who cares if its legal, you live in the south. front or back, same amount of fab.

Eddyj said:
I bought the midsize ranger cause of how short it is in overall length. I've found they are very lienant on the width law, unless you are pulling a commercial trailer.

Yeah im around 112" right now nose to tail

bbone said:
Who cares if its legal, you live in the south. front or back, same amount of fab.

:wtflol:

Not sure I'd want 12-1300 lbs. hanging off the back with the axles in their current location, plus up front the truck can take some of the weight.

probably going to have waaay tooooo much tongue weight after you reinforce the frame, build a deck and load a RZR up front. if you notice on those commercially available units they have the axles no more that 50% back from the front of the RV portion.
Far as the law is concerned about width, it should not be a problem unless you get some jerk who wants to mess with you. In my area of SE Houston, I am way more concerned about the number of trailers with bent axles drifting down the road then I am about someone being a little over width.
Watch out for those 5 lug axles, some camper manufactures actually use less than a 3500lb axle (as low as 2600lb I think???).

Buy the smallest utility trailer that will fit ur sxs and pull doubles. Looks like the camper might have a receiver on back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What's the length and weight of the camper as is?

Personally I like the idea of using the hub to side load, then spinning everything around to straight, but that's mostly because I think it sounds like a cool idea.

ridered3 said:
What's the length and weight of the camper as is?

Personally I like the idea of using the hub to side load, then spinning everything around to straight, but that's mostly because I think it sounds like a cool idea.

The actual camper part is around 20'. Then add another 3 for the tongue.

I thought the side load spin setup would be cool too. Its not off the table yet

I measured the truck with the trailer hooked and unhooked. The truck drops 3/4" with it on. So I don't feel like ill have too much tongue weight. I have airbags on the truck too. I got the tape measure out and pulled my rzr around to get a idea of what I'm looking at.

The wood block is 64" off the front of the camper which is what I'd need for a spot to park.
44d2daaf18364ec8873e2a06e03de724.jpg

and then just a couple pics to get a idea of what I'm workin with.
I'm probably going to be breaking the plasma cutter sooner or later. Double trailers would be easy, but not exactly what I'm looking for.
846e395c5c5c34ddf0775e944bd2e23c.jpg

9a8cbcfd6ea711472565bac4e6097e27.jpg

ToledoDan said:
probably going to have waaay tooooo much tongue weight after you reinforce the frame, build a deck and load a RZR up front. if you notice on those commercially available units they have the axles no more that 50% back from the front of the RV portion.
Far as the law is concerned about width, it should not be a problem unless you get some jerk who wants to mess with you. In my area of SE Houston, I am way more concerned about the number of trailers with bent axles drifting down the road then I am about someone being a little over width.
Watch out for those 5 lug axles, some camper manufactures actually use less than a 3500lb axle (as low as 2600lb I think???).

I see what you are talking about with the axle placement. Looks like the RV sections arent quite as big on the factory ones too. Hopefully I can get away with just a little on the heavy side or cut it all back off :****:
I did a little searching on tongue weight and issues people had, I found some stuff but they were going to be using a tahoe, half ton pickups and such.

A little too much tongue weight is way better than too little. As long as ur fab work is on point and check ur hitch for corrosion or weakness's or maybe go with a higher class receiver, slap some load leveling/anti sway bars on it and be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll be updating with pics of the addition in the next week or so

I've been doing sliders and front/rear bumpers on a 4runner so hopefully I'll have that out of the way before I go back to work next week and knock my camper out in a day or 2. But the guy I got the camper from told me about one he saw that was similar to what I had talked about doing to his.
e3011a518afc971a278084d8be3e842a.jpg
I drove out there today and...Sure enough it's almost exactly what I had in mind. It looked pretty original to me, nothing cut or patched together and the frame is wayyy taller than mine. Mine is boxed and this was c channel. Who knows, but you get the idea of what I'm about to do
25aae98d969f119c14f20081a62a581f.jpg
1fe8b10c78998da8716f63b11a6c2855.jpg

Swapped all the lights out to LED. Also changed some of the exterior markers to 2 bulb setup
ad62ef5e16bd59c236ed5b9f3fc899f4.jpg

fcb6961673caa41680e8ac300228a23b.jpg

a6503a66ae95c8244eeb10e406a5a933.jpg

c8de1c7667971d0d29cede763a70aace.jpg

7e42507da2f2d1088d0b90c99b14195e.jpg

42c56e15e22b8af84fde5576bd05bae4.jpg