• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fuel Cell Size

A Ford

Getting ready to start putting the front of my chassis back together. What size fuel cell is good for East coast trail bashing? I have a 12 gallon in it now and I don't think that's going to be enough.

I should probably add that its pretty thirsty for what it is. For those that have been there it eats 1.5 gallons per lap on the race track at AOP. Im just afraid of getting too far out at Windrock or Rush and not making it back to the trailer.

I would bet you get nearly double the mileage per gallon if you are trail riding not racing.

Im sure it would get pretty good mileage while not beating on it. That's kind of why Im asking what works for most people. I can get 30 gallons up there but there's a radiator to package along with the fuel cell and that's the problem. I'd really like to get lets say 8 hours at most out of it without heading back to the trailer to refuel. It will chug fuel if Im not nice to it but would probably idle for a couple days on 12 gallons. Its just a bone stock 7.3 diesel while idling, but a fuel chugging beast if Im not nice to it.

15 gallon in mine that I probably only fill to 13/14 gallons.

350/v8/fuel inj........i have ran a tooooooon of trails at windrock in a day, and I mean one side of the park to another, gravel roads, hard stuff, 2wd stuff and I was still good to go.

I want to say I put 8 or 10 gallons back in after that.

My normal dat rides there I usually put 4/5 gallons back in to top it off.

I think at AOP/ GMP it's maybe a 2 gallon burner? Probably 3ish...

Mine drinks gas if I'm in the throttle much. What ever you think is big enough build it a little bigger. :dblthumb:

mine is a 15 gallon

semi decently healthy 6.0, mostly trail riding, but I also dont putt around all day

It can go all day long and still have a few gallons in the tank. I usually will ride a weekend (friday night, all day sat, sat night) without filling up. For the longer places, I just take an extra 5 gallon can and leave it at camp and that is more than enough....at harlan I just fill up in town each morning before going out.

I think a big thing too is making sure there is enough in there at all times to avoid letting the pump go dry. I was tilted over pretty good on Rail Trail on the 2nd day of riding(didn't refill after first) and it started fluttering out then just wouldn't fire up. Syphoned a couple gallons from a buddies and it pulled right out.

The plan is to have a transfer tank on the tow rig so filling up at camp won't be an issue. The batteries are the biggest problem, I don't want to move them. There's 18" in between them. I've got height to work with but most cells are short. Also have to get a radiator and winch up there somewhere. 2 of those RCI 15 gallon offroad cells will fit side by side but doesn't leave alot of room for the radiator. There is nowhere to haul extra fuel at and since its a diesel I really don't have the option to bum some of anyone else if I ended up needing it out on the trail. Honestly it would probably be OK with 20 or so gallons. Seems like alot of you are OK with 15 and a gas engine.

ROFL. That's a good one. Its going to get even more interesting trying to mount a cooler. Wouldn't be so bad if I left the passenger seat out, but then I would end up getting beat up by a passed off midget.

Got any pics of this beast, I love the diesel route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen a couple cool Diesels at windrock. They do great, except on the areas where you really need that initial BUMP of power. The "slab rock" on 3 is one that comes to mind. Seems like a transbrake would fix that though.

Trying to figure out this Imgur thing. Darn you Photobucket.

Well that didn't work.