• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Full coverage insurance

UABYJ94

I'm about to purchase a 99 F350 dually Friday and wondering who out there keeps full coverage on the over 13 yr old rigs? Is it worth it?

It will be my DD back and forth to work, plus towing horses and jeep. My work commute is 18 miles each way.

I searched several different ways in my wording and couldn't find any threads on this.

Thanks for any info...

I have it on my 03 F250. Had a friend that spent $7000 on his wife a car a few months ago. Only got liability because it was 10 years old. She totaled it 3 months later. When thinking about it, go by the value of your truck, not the age. Plus its only a $50/month difference in full coverage and liability for me. Well worth it for a $10,000+ vehicle.

^^^^^^^^^^^

X2 on what he said. If your monthly insurance savings is more than the cost of the vehicle then you dont need full coverage. If the replacement cost of the vehicle is alot more than what you would spend in insurance over the course of say 5 years then you probably should have the insurance.

I am wondering the same. I have a 2002 F250 7.3 cc 4x4. The truck has 260K on it, runs fine and is overall in great shape. I like the truck enough to replace the engine if needed. I have full coverage on the truck now. The question is just what would it take to "total" the truck. I would not be happy with a check for 10K from the insurance co if something happened to it, and would want it back if not too severely damaged.

Keep on and hope for the best.....or ......liability and hope for the best. Kinda a tough spot to be in. :dunno:

My thinking was that if it did get totaled from some idiot(myself included) then I would atleast get something for the truck with full coverage rather than just told to pound sand with liability. I've never totaled a vehicle or even had an insurance claim in the last 22 years, but that doesn't mean I won't kill it driving it back to PC from Crestview after I buy it Friday evening.

on a "high value" vehicle, I'd get full coverage.

I don't know how your insurance is setup, but since I've got my house, vehicles, and a life ins policy through Farm Bureau, my vehicle insurance is pretty cheap.

I'd get an estimate of what they value your vehicle at before dropping extra $ on full coverage.

At least get comprehensive so you'd be covered from "acts of nature, fire, and theft"

My DD is a 2000 silverado and I keep full coverage on it even though it's only worth 4500 now. It doesn't cost enough for me to worry about changing it to liability.
I think it's about 65 a month through state farm.

I have a 99 dodge 3500 cummins 4x4. Dont owe a dime on it but , there is no way could i replace it if something happened toit without full coverage insurance. What i usually recommend to my clients is that if they do not have the money to replace it if something happened to it that it may be a good idea to have full coverage.
All companies are different when it comes to totaling vehicles. Some will not total until 75% of the cost of vehicle. Ours is around 55% of the cost based on book value. Hope this helps you.

stupid dutys hold stupid value, consider it this way..do you have enough in your bank acct if you total the truck that you wont miss the money you have to spend out of pocket to replace the truck?
If its a vehicle that only is worth a couple grand or such then I would maybe risk it (thinking back) I dont have full coverage on my 03 tj..but i bought it for cheap
My super duty, the wifes fusion both have full coverage.

Have a 99 super duty, got ran of the road about a week ago took out a well mounted mail box and done almost $5000.00 worth of damage :****:
I have full coverage if not I would have been out that money. So full coverage is the only way to go unless just have that kind of money laying around.
I've got right at 300,000 miles on it and didn't have any problems getting full coverage.

Me, the parents, and the sister have always had our vehicles insured through Allstate. I now have my home owners insurance with Allstate as of last year (problems with Alfa). But both my truck and car are still on auto policy with both parent's vehicles and sister's vehicle, so I guess there's a bundle discount for multi auto policy. My part of the policy per month is $88 and I think it's split around $55-$60 for full coverage on my 2006 2500HD and $28-$33 for liability only on my 2002 Saturn L200 sedan ($3k gas saver, errand runner).

I keep Full coverage on my 96 f-250. It is my work truck, pull truck and DD. Insurance probably wont pay much if I totaled it but at least it would be a down payment on something else so I could be back at work in a day or 2 :)