• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Full Hydro Steering help, another newb question.

Simple stuff first is the pump loosing pressure internally? may need rebuilt or replaced. I know a toyota pump will do this . ask Krackem

i'm not saying it's impossible but i have a hard time believing that your problem is caused by your mixing a small amount of non-synthetic with synthetic fluid. Something else you could try if after you bleed it and it's still giving you trouble is to go get a stock pump and put it on and see if the problem goes away, then you can save it for a trail spare.

Re: Re: Re: Full Hydro Steering help, another newb question.

Neal3000 said:
i'm not saying it's impossible but i have a hard time believing that your problem is caused by your mixing a small amount of non-synthetic with synthetic fluid. Something else you could try if after you bleed it and it's still giving you trouble is to go get a stock pump and put it on and see if the problem goes away, then you can save it for a trail spare.

Yea the fluid mixture may very well not be an issue, I was just trying to think of every possibility before actually having to replace an item like a pump or orbital.

Sent from my not-so-dumb phone...

Re: Re: Full Hydro Steering help, another newb question.

Been too busy drankin' beer to fawk with it lol

Well it looks like a new belt was all I needed. I think the belt that was on there was a little too long, because it stretched beyond what the tensioner would compensate for. Bought a shorter SOLID v belt instead of a ribbed one, for more pulley grip surface and tightened that bitch up and it seems to be working perfect in the yard. Makes sense too, because I noticed it starting to get worse about the time I started noticing the belt squeal when I'd turn all the way one way or another bottoming out the steering ram. Now nothing squeals and it seems to work perfectly. I'm gonna wheel it this coming weekend to make sure, though.

And yes I feel like an idiot that it was just a belt and I haven't fawked with it in 3 months because I figured it was something more complicated....

I have the same setup and have also had the same issues as you with the belt also being the problem. However, mine wasn't the belt stretching or the adjuster issue - the belt is eating the pulley on mine. I will be switching to either a steel v belt pulley or a full serpentine setup, all depends on how much work I feel like getting myself into.

Latest posts