• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gear Conundrum

hokie_yj

Yeah, i said conundrum. I like big words, they make me feel edumacated.

I'm gathering parts for a rear engine, single seater build with 609's front and rear. I just bought two sets of used 5.50 gears from somebody on another board. I won't name the board, but it rhymes with Pirate. I got the gears in the mail today. The problem is he shipped both sets in the same box, and there's no markings to tell which ring and pinion go together. :dunno: I've always been told to never mix and match ring and pinions because they're machined as a matched set. I would imagine since these gears are used that it's even more of a no-no since they've been run in together, and the mesh probably won't match. If i just toss 'em I won't be out that much. (I guess i know now why I got them so cheap)

So, what do you guys say?
Trash 'em? :gtfo:
Randomly pair them up, beat the piss out of them, and hope I get lucky? :driving:
For the love of God, NO! It will never work! Your axles will self destruct on the way to the mall causing you to take out a bus full of nuns? :****:

I've built many axles and you are right about the mix and match. But I have never seen a set that wasnt marked with the lapping number from the factory with an engraver. Are there any markings on the pinion? should a least be a check distance on it.

Thanks for the info, I'll look closer. The only markings I noticed on the first look was 5.50-9 stamped on each one, which of course is just the ratio.

They are Visteon gears, anybody have any experience with them? A quick google search turned up decent reviews.

Thanks,
Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87yjtoy said:
I've built many axles and you are right about the mix and match. But I have never seen a set that wasnt marked with the lapping number from the factory with an engraver. Are there any markings on the pinion? should a least be a check distance on it.

I went back and looked at them again, one ring gear was stamped #25 after the ratio, and the other #30. The pinions had the # wrote on the head with a paint pen.

Thanks for the info! :cheers: You just saved a bus full of nuns! :D

Look on the end of the teeth where the pinion support stub is.

Im a nobody but if you cant find the numbers set one up check the pattern then swap the pinion and check again . Being a 9" you can swap them out easy being you have 2 of them. Oh and if you didnt know get the pinion spacer for preload. Easier than using a crush sleeve

There was nothing but the ratio marked there, but the numbers matching the ring gear were wrote in paint pen on the other side.

I will be using a solid spacer, I already have one install kit, and I'm about to order the other one.