• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

gm 60 build for lightweight transaxle rig

zjtrey

So I'm still in the planning stages of my 3800 supercharged transaxle build.. planning on running gm 60 and 14b. I'm shooting for a fighting weight of 3000lbs… I think that is achievable however if i could stay under that I wouldn't mind even a little bit... :****:….

in keeping the weight down I'd like to minimize the truss on the front end and keep the cost down as well..

what are y'alls thoughts on how far to go with the front end.. right now I'm planning on running stock inner shafts, alloy 35 spline outers and drive flanges. I'm going to run Ford knuckles because I already have them and I already have a good bit of spare parts saved up so they will be in common with my current rig.. I'll beef the stock knuckles up a bit too.. I did some work for a friend and traded for a bare housing gm 60..

the rig will have full hydraulic steering so i'll need some kind of mount for a steering cylinder..

I'm really used to building up a front 60 for 300+ HP in a 5,000lb rig where you truss the **** out of it, use aftermarket knuckles, gusset inner C's and high quality alloy shafts all around so I could use some thoughts... :fish:

Imho - axles get abused in the rocks and even a 3k lb rig can bend a factory dana or gm housing. I would truss it well. I'm a big fan of the artec stuff.

In a light weight rig I would spend my $$ on good axles (inner and outer) and good joints before a pre-built truss. IMO with a light low power rig you won't need to truss it. But hey I'm just a web wheeler so I don't know anything right.

Y'alls responses are exactly whats going through my mind trying to make a decision.. the more weight I add, the more it'll need a truss..I can also beat on it harder with peace of mind with more trussing so it adds up to a tough decision

The truss on my current front 60 is built from 3x6 3/16 box tube and weights about 50lbs.. the gm60 I'm building now will have to have something for the steering and upper links so Im thinking i might as well do a similar truss.. I won't be spending my cash on a pre-build truss, just not my style...