• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Going from 35's to 37's...?

JThompson

I have a '91 Toyota with the 22re (194k) that is on the tired end of things, but, somehow runs better than a couple years ago... :eeek:

I really want to go to 37" MTR's (actually, around 36.6"...) to kind of finish off my last year of work on the thing. This work includes a solid axle swap, about 5 inches of lift (suspension, I also have a 2" body lift), 5.29:1 gearing with locking diffs at both ends. Like I said before, motor getting up there, but the 5.29's really made a difference, even when stepping up from 33's to 35's around 34" with present wear). I also have stock gearing in tranny/t-case.

My point is, I really want the 37's to round out my suspension/travel and diff height, but am really afraid this will just take me right back to where I was with the 33's and 4.10 diffs!

Does anybody run a stock motor/tranny/t-case combo with 5.29 gearing and anything near 37" tires? Do you do ok on the highway? Offroad? Do you wish you had smaller tires/lower gearing? How well has your clutch held up?

I was thinking that the quickest way to "fix" this would be a 4:1 kit in the t-case, but I really want dual cases instead!! But not enough money for duals...
This would help me offroad, but not on the highway.

I guess it is also important to say that I am more of a technical wheeler than a bash and crasher...:;

I have 37s on my truck with 5.29s and stock tranny/tcase gearing Josh. Its fine on the roads. I actually picked up some power because I was going from a HEAVY tire, to a much lighter one. Its not all about diameter, you have to look at the weight too. I saved 20 LBS or so per corner (no lie) by switching wheels/tires. So, even though theyre bigger, the truck drives better with them because theyre lighter overall.

As for offroad, youve seen my truck wheel. I just wish I had the gears simply because I would like to be able to go slower easier at times, other than wearing out my leg with my Centerforce clutch, not because I NEED them for the tires, lol.

~T.J.

Last edited:
i am currently running 5.29's and a single 4.7 case, 37's and a 91 22re with around 2,000 miles, and so far my clutch has held strong, i like the gear ratio when i am wheeling, but i have yet to hit 5th gear on the freeway from what i have been told 37's and 5.29's are close to or the same ratio as 4.10's and stock tires, though i don't know if that is true or not. i plan to do dual cases soon i hate my really long rear two piece driveline.

dual cases first then buy new tires

Thanks for the input.

As for your reply, this is one scenario that I was thinking of. But, if I do dual cases, I have to not only spend that money, but redo driveshafts. And, I want to go HP front diff, but not before I build d-shafts! I don't have that money right now, my tires are getting more warn as time goes by (duh) and I wish that after all the work I have done, my truck looked "right." I kinda built it for the 36" IROK/37" MTR fittment.

Maybe I should just save the money I was going to spend on tires, and put it into an "account" for these other upgrades, that which, when I do them, will leave me no money for tires!!!! aaarrrgghhhhhh :rolleyes:

dual cases first then buy new tires
Is this in place of 4:1 t-case gears, or are you just suggesting case work in general?
i am currently running 5.29's and a single 4.7 case, 37's and a 91 22re with around 2,000 miles, and so far my clutch has held strong, i like the gear ratio when i am wheeling, but i have yet to hit 5th gear on the freeway from what i have been told 37's and 5.29's are close to or the same ratio as 4.10's and stock tires, though i don't know if that is true or not. i plan to do dual cases soon i hate my really long rear two piece driveline.

Wow, you have a very similar setup to me, especially if I go with the case gears. I know that alot of the trucks, mainly SR5's and 4Runners, came with 30-31" tires in the 90's. So, 4.10 gears and 31's are the same as 5.29's and 37's...? It seems to me a little bit of a stretch. I drove two different completely stock toyotas, one carb, one EFI, with 31" tires, and both acted similar to my rig with 5.29 and 35's. I find your info very useful, and I will think on this... You do like the t-case gears though? You don't miss the "stock" low-range gearing?

ya i love the gearing 4Low is more then slow enough, i find my self in 2nd gear low range most of the time,and i am much more of a technical wheeler then a thrasher. though i beat the **** out of my first yota:eeek:, i think it was a learning process:D if i didn't hate my drivelines so much i wouldn't put duals in my truck, because there is very little wheeling around here were you would need double low anything, i had duals with a 4.7 in my last toy with 40's, and i can tell you from first hand experience that the gearing is stuper low, i have/had twin sticks in both set ups and i really like them

stock duals are roughly 108:1
my single 4.7 case is roughly 107:1

Duals over single case gears any day. Duals are adaptive, you can run single low for normal type stuff liek mud, slick hillclimbs etc. and still have double for crawling.

I have a dual ultimate setup from marlin and on trails I run 4.7 most of the time in 2nd and 3rd. BUT I slip it back into 2.28 for running between trails, something you can't do with a single case. Any Jeeper will tell you having a single case leaves a HUGE hole in your gearing. Either too low or too high for running around. Hence all the doubler setups popping up the last few years...

i'm running 36 iroks with 5:29's and can still get down the freeway ok... yes i wish i could crawl slower but i'm working towards duals. the iroks are heavy, i think i will grab some 37 mtr's when these are shot....

MTRs weigh more than IROKS. Surprisingly.

Ummm, I think the IROK's are light for their size. That is what a lot of people were praising them for when they came out. I can hoist my buddies 36" IROKs around easier than my worn down 35" MTR's.