• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

HEADS: 74cc to 64cc?

MuleSkinner1399

MuleSkinner II
Currently I am running GM CASTING HEADS (#3973487) that are 75cc. I have been wanting to jump to 64cc (2.02" intake and 1.60 exhaust). Has anyone made this conversion before? Recommendations of product? Any insight on the difficulty of doing this?

The best bang for the buck is check with summit or jegs, they use to offer a brand new vortec head that they put big valves in and screw in studs ready to bolt on for around 650, I bought a set from Patriot Performance in Rainbow City AL, about 5 years ago, they were drilled to accept old style intake or vortec style, and same with valve covers, both patterns drilled! these heads are for better than some 50 year old double hump heads that you will spend about the same amount on.

If you cut that much off your probably going to have to have your intake milled also.

Re: Re: Re: HEADS: 74cc to 64cc?

zukimaster said:
The best bang for the buck is check with summit or jegs, they use to offer a brand new vortec head that they put big valves in and screw in studs ready to bolt on for around 650, I bought a set from Patriot Performance in Rainbow City AL, about 5 years ago, they were drilled to accept old style intake or vortec style, and same with valve covers, both patterns drilled! these heads are for better than some 50 year old double hump heads that you will spend about the same amount on.
this!!!!

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

Are you talking about changing heads for ones with small combustion chambers or resurfacing the heads you already have?

zukimaster said:

Patriot is still in business with a name change.

Promaxx Performance 1.800.235.4323

If your ever thinking of running boost stay with the 76 cc heads if not get the smaller ones, more compression makes more power.race gas and Propane loves compression, pump gas keep it below 10 to 1

Fire Freak said:
If your ever thinking of running boost stay with the 76 cc heads if not get the smaller ones, more compression makes more power.race gas and Propane loves compression, pump gas keep it below 10 to 1

Im running propane- would it be a bad idea to go for 74 to 64?

I second that, take the smaller cc heads, if you use stock casting , vortecs are your best bet, they flow as much as some aftermarket heads, shave em a little, just always check ur ptv clearance.

I have a set of 049 cast iron heads I bought that I was thinking about using for an older truck but project is on hold.
They are 64cc chambers with the 2.02 and 1.60 valves. They were freshened up by a machince shop recently and
were decked .005. These heads are great for a vintage hot rod engine. Vortec heads should flow a little better.
If interested text me 931-580-8733. $600 for the pair. Valves and springs are installed.