• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help, good replacement intake??

jdsharp81

Depends on what your trying to do I guess. But all in all no, a car intake is not the way to go if you have the room. A stock LS1 intake has a 78MM throttle body where the truck is around 90MM. Most people use the car intake because they have to... Truck intake is ugly but makes considerably better power.

I put an LS6 intake on my LQ9 because I needed the shorter intake. Some people claim it to be a 5-10 HP gain though. And they say the LS1 intake will lose a few HP.

That being said, I have a truck intake that's in good shape. I pulled the actual MAP sensor out and put in my LS6 intake but the bung for it is still there. If you're interested let me know.

It's pretty much got to do with the air velocity and the volume. I don't really think that you would ever be able to feel 10 horsepower either way. I would just do what ever would be easier for you.

swapping the car intake isnt just a "swap out the intake" job though, FYI.

I have an LS6 intake on an LQ9 as mentioned above...for the space. The LS1 is the worst flowing of the LS intakes according to data over on LS1tech. As mentioned previously, the truck is one of the best, the LS6 is about the same (or slightly better), and the LS1 is the worst. You cant use the others, as they are rectangle vs cathedral ports.

You will need to change/modify your water pump, your idler pulley locations, and a few sensor locations. You'll also need to get new clips for your injectors if you go with car injectors. (youll need new fuel rails too).

Best bet is to buy a complete intake with rails and injectors and go from there.

Its not worth it if you are just doing it for looks in my opinion. you should be able to get a truck intake for pretty cheap - hell I have one I wouldn't mind getting rid of when my build is done.

oh, I didn't know all that was involved. My main reason for asking was because of the broke clip that holds the map sensor in and the broke nipple that is by the throttle body. it looks as if both of the clips just twists out and are replaceable, but I damn sure cant find them anywhere.

I forgot to mention that my LS6 intake is turned backwards. That's the only way it will clear without doing all the modifications.

I don't know if you'll be able to get those clips out of the truck intake without breaking them. When I was swapping my MAP sensor over I tried to twist the bung and it didn't want to budge. If I were you I'd stick with the truck intake. I'm not trying to play saleman at all, but like I said i've got one I'll sell you pretty cheap. It's just sitting here in my way. It has fuel rails, but no injectors, and no throttle body.