• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

HELP needed on Nissan build

skirat42

Does anyone have any experience building up a nissan pickup? Looking to do a mild build on a 94 Nissan pickup. Needing help on recommended parts. The motor has high miles and have thought about a different motor. Suspension is my main concern it has IFS. With a mild build should I do SAS or just buy lift for IFS. I'm not very experience in any type of mechanic work. So don't really know what's best. Any help is appreciated.

I think the best upgrade for a "mild built nissan" would be a toyota that already has modifications done.

I have seen a couple of builds on here in regards to Nissans... skirat42 makes a good point...it is hard to beat the Yotas.

You seem to be pretty new to the offroading game and working on stuff... So here is my suggestion.

Go ahead with the 94 Nissan....buy you a 3in body lift, 4~5in suspension (lift) for IFS and put a set of 33x12.50r15s on it.. This setup wood be ok to start you off in the woods and learn how to drive and what the difference truly is in IFS and SAS..

SAS is a difficult task to just jump into... If you really want to learn do what I said above...learn the components...wheel it....and then start with the change after you have had your fun.

This is just my (2) cents.

Go find a donor Bronco 66-77 (narrow) or 78-79 (full width), get axles, radius arms, coils, coil towers, frame brackets and all. Bolt that **** right under that Nissan, although you will have to weld new saddles onto the rear axle. Some shortening of the drag link and panhard will be necessary as well.

They aren't bad vehicles - just not a toyota or jeep with all their aftermarket support.

The stock ifs is tough for what it is, if you upgrade the steering.

With the right back spacing, you should be able to run 33 12.50s with a cranked torsion bars and some fender trimming. There's also a lock rite locker available for the stock rear end.

Re: Re: HELP needed on Nissan build

Markrobinson said:
They aren't bad vehicles - just not a toyota or jeep with all their aftermarket support.

The stock ifs is tough for what it is, if you upgrade the steering.

With the right back spacing, you should be able to run 33 12.50s with a cranked torsion bars and some fender trimming. There's also a lock rite locker available for the stock rear end.
Yep,.

Don't spend money on things that will get **** canned if you build it.

Build a winch bumper, get a winch, a good set of tires that aren't much bigger than stock, and a locker. Then go wheel the **** out of it on trails.

Then decide what route you want to go.

IMO the single biggest contributor to the immense popularity of the common 4cyl 79-95 5spd Toyota's is that it is CHEAP to make them CRAWL compared to literally every other vehicle.

Drop in 4.7 gear sets, and bolt together doublers get you crawling for a few hundred $ and basically no custom work.

Good point. I had a frontier that did great with 35s and an open front end, but not being able to crawl without cooking the clutch sucked.

They do make crawler gears for nissans, but at $1000 a set I'd sooner spend that money on an LS V8 swap. I have the crawler gears myself, but they came with the rig. I wouldn't have gone out of my way to buy them vs going another route.

Heres a couple pics of mine, built it through college used to be my dd, loved the ka24e engine...loved the rev limiter way better than any 22r/e (im on my 4th 22r in my samurai buggy) Like others have said there isnt any aftermarket support for them and the crawl ratio sucks, i put 5.13 gears in my axles and still could never crawl well. If i was to do it over again i wish i would have kept the ifs on and just it alone and built a buggy. I used a waggy 44 up front and made my own spring hanger for the front. Fyi the way the front frame is made its almost impossible to keep a lower ride height like you can with a yota using leaf springs. I just never ran bump stops and let my springs flatten out loller.gif Mark post some pics of that old frontier, i still remember that trip to harlan what great times :driving:

nissanheathen said:
Heres a couple pics of mine, built it through college used to be my dd, loved the ka24e engine...loved the rev limiter way better than any 22r/e (im on my 4th 22r in my samurai buggy) Like others have said there isnt any aftermarket support for them and the crawl ratio sucks, i put 5.13 gears in my axles and still could never crawl well. If i was to do it over again i wish i would have kept the ifs on and just it alone and built a buggy. I used a waggy 44 up front and made my own spring hanger for the front. Fyi the way the front frame is made its almost impossible to keep a lower ride height like you can with a yota using leaf springs. I just never ran bump stops and let my springs flatten out loller.gif Mark post some pics of that old frontier, i still remember that trip to harlan what great times :driving:

^^ This guy is like- "Finally, a thread relevant to me!" :****:

Sad story, since I picked up the pathfinder I haven't been out. We have a little one at home and don't get out much.

I'd say it will do well. With a weak sway bar on the rear 4 link and the waggy leaves up front it is pretty balanced when off camber. It's got 3.9 transfer case gears and it's locked front and rear. It's no hill killer but I bought it to carry the family through the woods.

Oh, and you're right 5brothers, when there's a thread with "nissan" in the title we come out of the woodwork. I think the OP already quit posting but we won't let the thread die :wtflol: