• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help out a slow learner

95Jeep85

I have a 95 YJ that I have been having built for the last 2.5 years. The first guy I took it to screwed all sorts of stuff up on it including drilling out the knuckles for the steering link bolts. Picked it up and took it to a buddy of mine who has been working on it. He noticed the knuckles and said he wouldn't run them so I bought a used set of flat tops off of a guy on Pirate. He didn't mention they were for the '76 3/4 drum brake front end. Long story short, I have since bought the tierods for those knuckles and had some weld in bungs made for them and now of course the knuckles don't work with my brakes. What knuckles do I need to run for a 5x5.5 pattern for disc brakes and still use the 3/4 ton tierod ends for a set of Dana 44s or do I have to return the ends and eat the money on the bungs and go back stock? Thanks for your time

I should have some round here some where .contact firefreak on here he knows more of what I got then I do .

So what's wrong with running 3/4 holes on your knuckles for heims? It's a Dana 44, same as a D30 as far as meat left on the knuckle.

My neighbors JK is an everyday driver on 37s and been running 3/4 heims on OE knuckles for 4 years

I have personally ran a set of 44 knuckles drilled out for 3/4" bolts and heims with hydraulic steering without a single issue one. I vote run what you have.

Weld up the hole with a cast rod and redrill
Late 70s Ford Dana 44 have the pattern you're looking for get everything from the ball joint out including the stub to make sure it will all work together. As far as flat top knuckles go I am not sure which he models had flat top knuckles.