• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Highsteer/arb or Hyd / lunchbox

Blue31

In the process of gathering parts for my 4runner and looking for opinions. Trying to stay on a budget.
It's an 87 4runner I already have 60/14 and the V8. No tires yet but they'll be in between 38-42.
What combo do y'all think is better high steer with an arb or full hydro with a lunchbox locker?

What's the application? Trailer Queen or On Road use? What about hydro assist? Locking hubs or flanges?

Trailer queen, hubs. It's going to be on leafs for now. The thought was full hydr so I wouldn't have to upgrade if I linked it in the future.

I would go full hydraulic, weld the carrier and start saving for suspension.

RustyC said:
I would go full hydraulic, weld the carrier and start saving for suspension.

Ding ding ding! :dblthumb:

My rig was leafs front, linked rear when I bought it, but had full hydro in the front. The when I got it linked earlier this year, it was much more simple since the hydro steering setup with hi steer was already in place!

i like my full hydro/ARB setup locked when ya need it but i can make a turn in 20 turns less then my buddies that are welded or have a full time locker but thats just my two cents :dblthumb:

I wouldnt' run a lunchbox locker in a 60 front. They always seem to fail under hard trail use (granted it may take several years...)

I vote full hydro and weld, and use the money saved to upgrade shafts.

TBItoy said:
I wouldnt' run a lunchbox locker in a 60 front. They always seem to fail under hard trail use (granted it may take several years...)

I vote full hydro and weld, and use the money saved to upgrade shafts.
truth buddy had one it didn't last long

Blue31 said:
In the process of gathering parts for my 4runner and looking for opinions. Trying to stay on a budget.
It's an 87 4runner I already have 60/14 and the V8. No tires yet but they'll be in between 38-42.
What combo do y'all think is better high steer with an arb or full hydro with a lunchbox locker?
Full hydro steering and weld the carrier. If your running a 205 twin stick the transfer and use front dig in tight turns. I wanted to do a locker instead of welding mine. Hated the thought of it being welded in the front. That was the best money I never spent. For a all out woods trail ride I think it's a total waste of money to put a locker in the front. (Just my opinion)