• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hotrod guys

NTIDWELL

Working on a project 32 ford 5 window coupe and I'm running into a problem with getting license on it in Missouri this vehicle has no vin numbers on it that I can find anywhere so they will not license it with out a title does anyone have a title / vin tags they would sell me so I can actually drive it and be legal need a title for 30-35 ford or any info on how I can get it licensed Most of the car like frame I built myself few body pieces and stuff like that hard parts I got from swap meets and such got a lot of money tied up in this and I can't even drive it I have searched on the Internet and found some places that sells titles for hotrods but they have to have vin numbers so what the hell do I do Thanks for any help you can give me

we order a vin plate for a 51 chevy from LMC and made our own vin number. Then the tag office gave us form to take to the sheriff's office for then to inspect the vehicle so we could get a tag. Lot of work but we were able to drive and sell it.

s10me said:
we order a vin plate for a 51 chevy from LMC and made our own vin number. Then the tag office gave us form to take to the sheriff's office for then to inspect the vehicle so we could get a tag. Lot of work but we were able to drive and sell it.
Police department give u a vin number or you come up with random number

'32 fords have the number in 3 locations: on top of driver's side frame rail: 1. Anywhere between front crossmember and firewall but usually next to steering box. This is the only one you can see with the body on the frame. 2. About the half way point, under where the driver's seat would be, and 3. on the arch over the rear axle. If you have the original '32 trans case, the same number is stamped on the bell of the trans case above the clutch inspection window. Location varies some because the numbers were stamped by hand, and the clarity of the stamping depends on how hard the guy swung the hammer. Some are stamped very clearly, some are very faint and may take some effort to find. The serial number technically belongs to the engine/trans unit. When that engine/trans unit was bolted into a chassis, they literally had a guy there with a set of number stamps and a big hammer whose job was to copy the number off the bell of the trans onto the frame.

Watch out how you title it. If you get a VIN assigned to it, they will title it as a 2012 right now (i.e. the year the VIN was created).

The easiest way is to buy a title (or a registration from a state that only requires the registration). Arkansas comes to mind. And going in to your tax office with that. They will ask for the inspection papers and the VIN verification affidavit. You dont have to have the inspection papers if you do title only. Then once you have the title and get the car on the road you can go to the inspection, then go back to tax office to pay for registration.

Once you have papers, you can stamp your correct year VIN to match the papers. Go to the tax office and register. If its out of state papers you can do "title" only and get it inspected and what not before getting it registered but then you'll have the correct title.

You used to be able to buy Titles, Bills of Sale, Historical Documents and VIN plates on the HAMB. But they banned that late last year, not sure where aside from the big hot rod swap meets you can get them today. ANd expect to pay big bucks for a '32 title. same with '32 plates if you can run Year Of Make plates in your state.

I wish we could run year of make plates in Iowa. My sister gave my 1972 plates for my 40th birthday and they are mint condition in yellow with black letters. Stamped, none of this flimsy flat plate with numbers stuck on.

InDaShop said:
'32 fords have the number in 3 locations: on top of driver's side frame rail: 1. Anywhere between front crossmember and firewall but usually next to steering box. This is the only one you can see with the body on the frame. 2. About the half way point, under where the driver's seat would be, and 3. on the arch over the rear axle. If you have the original '32 trans case, the same number is stamped on the bell of the trans case above the clutch inspection window. Location varies some because the numbers were stamped by hand, and the clarity of the stamping depends on how hard the guy swung the hammer. Some are stamped very clearly, some are very faint and may take some effort to find. The serial number technically belongs to the engine/trans unit. When that engine/trans unit was bolted into a chassis, they literally had a guy there with a set of number stamps and a big hammer whose job was to copy the number off the bell of the trans onto the frame.

Watch out how you title it. If you get a VIN assigned to it, they will title it as a 2012 right now (i.e. the year the VIN was created).

The easiest way is to buy a title (or a registration from a state that only requires the registration). Arkansas comes to mind. And going in to your tax office with that. They will ask for the inspection papers and the VIN verification affidavit. You dont have to have the inspection papers if you do title only. Then once you have the title and get the car on the road you can go to the inspection, then go back to tax office to pay for registration.

Once you have papers, you can stamp your correct year VIN to match the papers. Go to the tax office and register. If its out of state papers you can do "title" only and get it inspected and what not before getting it registered but then you'll have the correct title.

You used to be able to buy Titles, Bills of Sale, Historical Documents and VIN plates on the HAMB. But they banned that late last year, not sure where aside from the big hot rod swap meets you can get them today. ANd expect to pay big bucks for a '32 title. same with '32 plates if you can run Year Of Make plates in your state.
This is where I run into a problem I built the frame so there is no vin number motor is 383 tranny is a 350 turbo with a 9in ford so how would I go about gettn a title and license

In Alabama anything prior to 1975 dont even have to have a title, and in geogia i think anything 1985 and back dont. but i know Tennessee makes you title it no matter the year, buddys of mine carry stuff to the rod run and have to go thru the samething you are

Do a search and you can buy a title for it, check ebay for one. All you got to do is cut a vin plate and stamp coresponding # from the title you buy into it then attach it to the chassis. Done this a time or two!!!

NTIDWELL said:
Police department give u a vin number or you come up with random number

we came up with our own just need to know how many digits from the year your building

Macman said:
Do a search and you can buy a title for it, check ebay for one. All you got to do is cut a vin plate and stamp coresponding # from the title you buy into it then attach it to the chassis. Done this a time or two!!!
This I can handle as long as I can find me a title only other option I'm looking at is buying a reproduction frame that I'll have vin numbers and a bill of sell on

You just need to find an old title or depending on the state an old registration to take into your Mo. Cnty Tax office.

Whatever the # on that old title or registeration is the number you need to put on your frame. I've done custom polished aluminum ones for guys in the past. Its not a big deal but also not exactly 100% above the board either.

Heres a guy who sold a '32 "historical document" for $400. That is what you need.
http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=28794

Bones said:
Nut

and a bit of a fruit cake :gay: :flipoff1:

yummy fruitcake.

I could never build for a living, would take the fun out of it. And I'd actually have to start seeing a shrink, vs. drinking the garage staring at chunks of metal...