• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How they make DOM tubing!

Man that's not dom its seamless tube . If you guys cry over the price of dom you don't even want to price that

There has been so much talk lately of DOM vs HREW and now somebody is bringin a whole new ball game to the table

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOM and HREW are made the same way. Each start life as hot roll steel coil that is slit to width and then ran thru a multi stand roll former and electro welded. DOM (drawn over mandreal)is re-sized and will be truer to size than HREW and DOM will be smooth inside and out, while HREW will still have the weld present on the inside. In most applications HREW will be just as good as DOM. Unless you are concerned with sizing, don't waste your money on DOM. The two main differences are DOM is going to rockwell higher (harder maybe more dent resistant) and the yield strenght will be higher from being work hardened.

21 years in the steel service center industry. If I were selling you tubing I would want to sell you DOM because it cost more, same if I were building you a chassis. I'm sure there will be some fab guys on here that will disagree, and thats just fine, just do a little research on unbiassed sites and you will find the truth about DOM vs. HREW.

http://www.tubeweb.com/Carbon-Steel-Tube/round-carbon-steel-tube.html

blackbuggy said:
DOM and HREW are made the same way. Each start life as hot roll steel coil that is slit to width and then ran thru a multi stand roll former and electro welded. DOM (drawn over mandreal)is re-sized and will be truer to size than HREW and DOM will be smooth inside and out, while HREW will still have the weld present on the inside. In most applications HREW will be just as good as DOM. Unless you are concerned with sizing, don't waste your money on DOM. The two main differences are DOM is going to rockwell higher (harder maybe more dent resistant) and the yield strenght will be higher from being work hardened.

21 years in the steel service center industry. If I were selling you tubing I would want to sell you DOM because it cost more, same if I were building you a chassis. I'm sure there will be some fab guys on here that will disagree, and thats just fine, just do a little research on unbiassed sites and you will find the truth about DOM vs. HREW.

http://www.tubeweb.com/Carbon-Steel-Tube/round-carbon-steel-tube.html

DOM is approx 40-50% stronger than hrew or crew... The table in the link you provided confirms that.

And common knowledge from people that have used both is that DOM is much more dent resistant...