• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How to remove bull gear from Rockwell???

slytowncrawler2

Do work son
I've never pulled the bull gear out of one....... Assuming I'm even using correct terminology. The one that transfers motion from pinion to carrier .... I've built both the pinion and carrier before.... But never pulled bull gear. I tried once in high school an said **** it an just swapped third out. Does it press out??? Do you have to offer up baby unicorns as sacrifice before it will come out??? Does anyone have a COMPLETE breakdown of the chunk???

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Yes it presses out it takes a good press to do it 30 ton or larger IMO u lay the third member on its side and go threw the diamond shape cover and push the spud shaft out of the bevel gear ! Ouverson has a good manual on there website that's the one I went by with I put the 4:90s in my axles just make sure u don't loose no shims when to start tearing it down

I have a 30 ton press and I had to add metal to the top plate of it because it started to bend the I beam on the top of it I will promise u one thing if u get it apart with out a press u will have to have one to reinstall the bevel gear back on to the shaft for sure

PS there is a set screw that comes in from the top flat plate that holds the big bearing behind the bevel gear in place

Damn!!! I have spare thirds. I just don't wanna have to cut an re weld my steering mount.... But sounds like that may be easier.... I've just had bad luck welding to those top loaders... This one is good. Been beat on for a while. But I've had some that the welds would not hold no matter what...... Like they were different metal

I have a decent press but damn that's gone be awkward lol

I can send you a copy of the manual if you will send me your address and a self addressed box. Why is it uou are asking ? I did not understand why in your post.
Actually you should leave the set screw in place until after you press the ring gear off the shaft. Otherwise, the sleeve will press out with the ring gear. This will make it hard to get the gear out the inspection cover. The manual shows it to be done this way.
I used a 50 ton press which didn't break a sweat..
Josh rholing, I did not get chance to speak to you at aop this past weekend regarding your buggy.. check your pm please

The bearing is shot. Axle is chattering like hell at highway speed and has for a while now and prolly will for a lot longer. I was jut wanting to fix it while I had axle apart. The gear that mates to the pinion moves damn near half an inch when u move pinion back an forth

slytowncrawler2 said:
The bearing is shot. Axle is chattering like hell at highway speed and has for a while now and prolly will for a lot longer. I was jut wanting to fix it while I had axle apart. The gear that mates to the pinion moves damn near half an inch when u move pinion back an forth
gotcha. Check your pm