• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How/Where to start?

SnoFalls

It's been a while since I've done some RC stuff ...

I've got a good 2ch (maybe 3ch can't remember) throttle radio. It's one I used when I ran a serpent smooth track car.

I also have lots of other "run" items (fuel bottles, starters, parts, toolkits, etc)

I'd like to build up a RC crawler, but not sure how where to start ...

I'm NOT afraid of scratch building (e.g. scratch built a 1:20.3 locomotive) ... I think I'd like to start frame-up (aka scratch built frame) ... probably have a .15 or .20 laying around for a powerplant ... have a few body shells laying in the RC box ... not really any "offroad" shocks (other than "kyoto" crap gathered at garage sales), so gotta get that.

But being TOTALLY ignorant ...
Is this a battery powered only faction? If nitro, then where to source a decent gearbox?
Should I just get a decent kit (aka tmax or something), and build up from there?
If I was to totally fabricate, any pointers to a "scale" I should target (e.g. what wheelbase, track width, etc).
Don't really wanna build shocks, or gears, or a gearbox ... where's a good parts source? I figure axels or housings shouldn't be too hard to fab, but the guts could be.

So, school me please on this stuff ... sounds like fun.

Welcome to the world of RC crawlin! It sounds like you have some basic RC knowledge, which will be a big help. As far as running nitro power, it most likely won't work. Crawling is done slow, and nitro engines need to wind out to be happy, and the clutches won't handle it.

You will need to decide what type of rig you want to build, shaft driven, or dual motor (Clod Buster). The best thing you can do is spend some time on rccrawler.com doing research. They have great newbie information, and sections for each specific type of truck. There is way more information already there than anybody could ever pass along to you here (of course we're still happy to help out with your questions).

We are also having a comp tomorrow at Tinkham Road off of I90, if you want to come meet some guys and check out the rigs.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^

I was going to suggest almost the identical info.

I would strongly suggest going to the comp,it would really give you a feel for the different trucks and what not, also if you are like me, Seeing,touching feeling the trucks is a big help.

You could also buy a used truck to get the feel for it. You can sell it later or use it for parts in your build,it gennerally is cheaper to by a used truck rather than build one when you have 0 for electric powered vehicles. Trust me been there done that.

Chances are you will end up with a truck or three anyways.....

Welcome to the board Sno.

I started this little hobby back in Feb 06 with zero knowledge but ahell of alot of interest.
I would run into some of the RC sites when researching info for my 1:1 4x4 rig.
Then I ran accross http://rccrawler.com/.
Found everything I needed to know to start my first build. Been hooked every since. OOhhh chitt I need a fixx..!!!!

Welcome to the crawling scene. Like Todd said, you should check out rccrawler.com. There are a lot of different directions you could go in and you can spend a little or a lot depending on what direction you choose. The guys in the WARCRC club are very cool and helpful. Hope to see you at a comp.:hi:
Nathan