• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Humvees for sale

patooyee

I'm sure everyone has seen where the military is finally starting to auction off some Humvees to the public. The first auction sold out pretty quick with some going for up to $41,000. But there are currently 4000 more waiting for approval to go to auction with potentially thousands more after that. I suspect the prices will eventually come down to $10,000 or less. I'd love to get one, put a 454 in it, make it a hunting land vehicle or something. They aren't street legal but can be made legal in some states. Or even better, I'e love to see someone try to jump Primos in one. :)

I would love to have a 4 door Convertible, and if I could find one close by for 10k I would probably jump on it.

patooyee said:
I'm sure everyone has seen where the military is finally starting to auction off some Humvees to the public. The first auction sold out pretty quick with some going for up to $41,000. But there are currently 4000 more waiting for approval to go to auction with potentially thousands more after that. I suspect the prices will eventually come down to $10,000 or less. I'd love to get one, put a 454 in it, make it a hunting land vehicle or something. They aren't street legal but can be made legal in some states. Or even better, I'e love to see someone try to jump Primos in one. :)
What auction site did you find them on?Might look into one also.

The first auction is over and the next has not been scheduled yet. I'm not sure of the site, just seen it all over the news. I'm sure you can find it via Google if you want. Post it if you do find it.

None of them are street legal straight from the auction block. They have to be modified to meet local requirements. They don't use keys, just push button. I think they use TH400's but they don't have a park position on the shifter. Just R, N, D, 2, 1. To park them you have to put it in neutral and engage a special parking brake. Some other weird stuff that I've heard about also. Like no seat belts, etc.

It's a subsidiary of iron planet auctions called govplanet.com. I want one worse than anybody, well not 40k worth.

halcat said:
It's a subsidiary of iron planet auctions called govplanet.com. I want one worse than anybody, well not 40k worth.

I never had any interest in one of the nicer civilian models. An old beat up used military one is the only one that I ever got excited about.

The 17th of Dec govplanet auctioned 27 of them and 26 were in Utah and one in Pennsylvania. Starting bid $10,000.00 the oldest was 88 to 94 and 6.2 diesels. I like the 454 idea. Or better yet a 2015 power stroke.

I killed one when I was in the Army. Pretty sure stock RZRs use H1 ball joints because I busted the front end out of an H1, 50mph baja-ing on a tank trail in Poland.

5BrothersFabrication said:
I killed one when I was in the Army. Pretty sure stock RZRs use H1 ball joints because I busted the front end out of an H1, 50mph baja-ing on a tank trail in Poland.

Guy I used to work with was bragging about how badass they were and how he could never break one or get one stuck. I told him he was a ***** and even though Ive never drove one I'm sure I could turn one into a pile of parts.

FYI guys, next auction is January 7. There are two humvees and both are in Pennsylvania. But don't worry there will be 4000 hit the block and we all will get our chance.

halcat said:
FYI guys, next auction is January 7. There are two humvees and both are in Pennsylvania. But don't worry there will be 4000 hit the block and we all will get our chance.
That's on my bday. Maybe I'll get myself a birthday present?!

The Luke. Lebanon, TN

Re:

So I'm thinking that when 1000s of humvees hit the recreation market, it'll be like the cucv trucks/axles.

I'd almost guarantee that you'll start seeing a lot more portal ifs and irs builds based on hummer knuckles, and even straight axle portals.

Re:

TBItoy said:
I'd almost guarantee that you'll start seeing a lot more portal ifs and irs builds based on hummer knuckles, and even straight axle portals.

I'd like to think the same but the portals have been available on military recycler websites for about $180 ea for over a decade now and haven't caught on. Back in the day Stazworx was building solid portal axles using Humvee portal boxes. I think he only built one or two sets and then gave up on it because they didn't sell. I don't know if there's something wrong with them or what.

336339d1195066464-hummer-portals-geared_hubs_800-2004-sm-right-vs-2006-left.jpg

The helical geared ones are quieter and apparently just as strong as the straight cut ones. With Mog axles generally the straight cut ones were stronger because they didn't put a side load on the box, which was always the weak link. That's why the 404's are so famous for breaking when the 406's and bigger weren't. (404's were helical, 406 were straight.)

From this thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/hummer/620537-hummer-portals.html

Here's a pic of a set of Stazworx axles using Humvee portals.

149034-staz-portals-ranger-build-up-axle-pic.jpg

There is a guy that rode with us once and I say once because it was the biggest **** pile I had ever seen on a trail. It was a buggy that he had built for werock but never got to compete with it and now I know why it was a 4.3 vortec auto to a Dana 300 case bolted directly to a hummer rear chunk and had a big long two piece shaft going to the front. It has coilovers all the way around with owner made ifs control arms it has cutting brakes but no lockers in it with a set of aluminum chevy truck wheels with some irocks with stauns. They had cut the axels and shelved them to make them short I guess. But the problem was it would flex and pull the cv apart other than that it was nice little light rig with the capability of rear steer also. Last I knew it was for sale pretty cheap I've also got old pics of it somewhere if someone wanted to see it. I think it had a jeep liberty grill and clear hood on it

Re: Re: Humvees for sale

fordcontraption01 said:
There is a guy that rode with us once and I say once because it was the biggest **** pile I had ever seen on a trail. It was a buggy that he had built for werock but never got to compete with it and now I know why it was a 4.3 vortec auto to a Dana 300 case bolted directly to a hummer rear chunk and had a big long two piece shaft going to the front. It has coilovers all the way around with owner made ifs control arms it has cutting brakes but no lockers in it with a set of aluminum chevy truck wheels with some irocks with stauns. They had cut the axels and shelved them to make them short I guess. But the problem was it would flex and pull the cv apart other than that it was nice little light rig with the capability of rear steer also. Last I knew it was for sale pretty cheap I've also got old pics of it somewhere if someone wanted to see it. I think it had a jeep liberty grill and clear hood on it
Post the pic I don't recall seeing that one in the old WEROCK or UROC series.