• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hydro and Orbitals....

Berne

OK....

so.....I'm looking for good, easy, and cheap (hopefully I can get 2 out of 3) full hydro steer setup.....

figuring to run a std. hot-rodded Sag pump....
a cheap 2" single ended ram (would love a bling'n 2.5" double, but not the $600+ price tag)
so....I need an orbital....
now, w/o the advice of "got to PSC, Pig, Station, whatever vendor" and just buy whatever they tell me to for whatever they tell me it costs.....there's gotta be a somewhat economical way to do this.....I don't need feed back/road feel, don't need it to return to center......

what has everybody used successfully, and what'd it cost you (looking for honest answers here)...
if an orbital of a junked tractor is gonna be cheap, but 'junk'....I don't want it.
if the only way for the system actually work good is to by a fancy ($$$) orbital.....what'd you get and what'd it cost??

--B
gonna be starting the project here real soon, trying to start rounding up parts...

Last edited:
I honstly don't know what orbitral I have. Got mine from the boys at S&N and the label was removed,lol..... I do know I am very happy with it---zero problems for how many years now...(glad to see you looking into the dark side)

crash said:
I honstly don't know what orbitral I have. Got mine from the boys at S&N and the label was removed,lol..... I do know I am very happy with it---zero problems for how many years now...(glad to see you looking into the dark side)

how many turns lock-lock is everybody running???...

Like 2 one way and 2 1/2 the other way which is typical of a one sided ram(not an orbitral issue)

Scott has good prices but IMO don't run that ram. Go with the argicultural style as you have more mounting options due to our big 60's :D

And I have a link to a good deal on that style of ram berne

Call these guys. Last time I was in there they had 8-10 refurbished or overstocked units for $100 each.

Hydraulics Northwest Inc
(253) 627-8625 2326 Milwaukee Way
Tacoma, WA

briejer said:
Call these guys. Last time I was in there they had 8-10 refurbished or overstocked units for $100 each.

Hydraulics Northwest Inc
(253) 627-8625 2326 Milwaukee Way
Tacoma, WA

"units"......

I ass-ume you're talking about orbitals.....steering valves.......????

cuz thats not a very good deal for a cheap Ag. ram....

crash said:
Scott has good prices but IMO don't run that ram. Go with the argicultural style as you have more mounting options due to our big 60's :D

And I have a link to a good deal on that style of ram berne

OK....
thinkin' I'm narrowing in on what i'm gonna do...

gonna try and find an orbital w/ approx 7 in3/rev (7.3 seems to be pretty common)....
this leaves me moderately set up for one of two options.....

w/ a 2" ram....this should give me just just over 3 turns one way, and like 2.5 the other.....
or
go w/ a bling-bling 2.5"x1.5"shaft double ender.....which would give me just over 3 turns all the time...

but those damned double enders are too much fawking money!!!.....

only concern is.........is 2" big enough

(maybe I should ask Mrs Crash???)

Going to the darkside as well and selling my hydro assist kit, steering box, etc. to run fully hydro.

Since this thread is over a year old, anybody have any new info to add?

This will be on a toy axle... Can I get away with a single ended ram?

Going to the darkside as well and selling my hydro assist kit, steering box, etc. to run fully hydro.

Since this thread is over a year old, anybody have any new info to add?

This will be on a toy axle... Can I get away with a single ended ram?

A single ender is no problem on a toy axle, Just make sure its limited so it doesnt rip the arms off the knuckle and make sure you have a reservior big enuf to hold all the fluid displaced from the ram and a good cooler.

Surplus center has a double ended ram for $200 that alot of people run.

Thanks for the info...

I bought this a while back to do hydro assist. it is a 6" - 1.5" ram... Would be nice to use it for fully hydro, but I imagine it isn't up to the task

ramkit2-600.jpg