• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hydro steering on a 4.0 cherrokee

smitty0u812

I was wondering if any one has ran full hydro on a cherokee if so what is the best pump for it I fill like I'm going to have to buy a aftermarket one to make it operate correctly because the stick pump on it just ant cutting it any one with some info would be greatly appreciated thanks

Stock is a Saginaw TC pump, so lots of options for aftermarket replacement. Assuming you go to a remote reservoir to get rid of the tiny plastic stock thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I didn't change any of the pump I check and made shure it dose not suck it dry the pump is not enuff to make the hydro system work correctly

Mine is just a 2.5 4 cyl and I'm not sure if this helps but I run a DanFoss orbital, stock pump, stock resi, 2x8 PSC ram, small cooler. it all has worked perfectly a D-60 with 39's and 42's since 2009 without fail. You will have to get a special line made for the high pressure side of the pump to orbital. I've also put the same setup on a 4.0 and it hasn't had any problems at all.

Re: Re: Hydro steering on a 4.0 cherrokee

smitty0u812 said:
I could just have a bad pump and not know it
Apples to oranges.....had weak steering for about 6 months on mine (350 v8).

Bought new AC Delco pump....steering was 100x better. Places like AOP and GMP used to suuuuuuuck when going down trails. Last outings there were like gravel road traveling.

I went thru this a few years ago, remand pumps at the part store are hit or miss, they pick this **** up out of a pile of junk and stick it in a box not knowing what it's really for, bought a new GM pump for a mid 90' big block 1ton truck and it's been perfect! Get someone that has a hook up at a gm store and there not much over a 100 bucks I believe.

I run a 4.0 with a hi volume PSC. TC pump stock reservoir. Double ended 2"x8" ram. I have 7 years on the current build on tons and 42 reds. Zero issues

I'll add though that I ran an OEM TC pump with ram assist initially. I had some annoying steering issues at idle. Sucked just like parking lot maneuvers in a 1ton truck in the winter.

So I swapped pumps thinking that was the problem. I sadly traded my OEM pump as a core for the oreilly reman. It lasted an afternoon then quit.

So I called PSC and ordered their Hi Volume TC. Then learned that my steering issues at idle were caused by pulley size.

So I added a 2405???? Pulley. Lol

Solved all my probs. Anyway good luck to ya. I have never had issues with my stock resi and pump.

Dwalk said:
Mine is just a 2.5 4 cyl and I'm not sure if this helps but I run a DanFoss orbital, stock pump, stock resi, 2x8 PSC ram, small cooler. it all has worked perfectly a D-60 with 39's and 42's since 2009 without fail. You will have to get a special line made for the high pressure side of the pump to orbital. I've also put the same setup on a 4.0 and it hasn't had any problems at all.

Did the same as above.

Stock 2.5 pump. PSC Reservoir. The return fitting in the pump is pressed in and you can pull it out and clock the fitting which ever way you need.

I also looked up West Texas Offroad and they have a write up on modifying the pump to allow more flow.

Also I called up PSC and told them what I was doing and they sent me a pressure line fitting that will increase pressure. I don't know the part number off the top of my head but it screws in on the high side. I run my steering through a large cooler in the front of the rig as well.