• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hydro Steering Question Please HELP!!

Billy4.0

Watch This
I just bought a Sami based rig that has full Hydro. Single Sided Lion Ram. TG Pump, Orbital.

My Problem or Question is my Tie rod that runs from Hub to Hub Twist up or down when steering left or right. Should this be happening or No. I'm new to full hydro so I'm not sure.

I would think that there should be no slack what so ever in the ram nor Tie rod when turning

Sent from my iPhone using Tap

Sounds like the jam nuts are loose at both ends? Twisting up or down should turn your tires in and out. That's how you line up your front end. One side of the tie rod will be right hand threads and the other end will be left hand threads, so as you turn it, it adjusts the wheels in or out.

I checked the jam nuts they're tight the heim joints are twisting. There is some slack in the ram ends where the pins go thru

Billy4.0 said:
I checked the jam nuts they're tight the heim joints are twisting. There is some slack in the ram ends where the pins go thru

They should be made to do that, but not twist all the way around like if the jam nuts were loose.

I'll get a pic of it. Should there be any movement where the ram attaches to the tie rod and axle.

yqegynu2.jpg
evypaqyj.jpg
y3ypasug.jpg

Re:

It looks like the movement you are talking about is the same type of movement your tie rod is making.....unless I'm missing something. Looks alright from here?

Single ended ram setups do move and flop around some, as long as its working and not hitting anything or loosening up the jam nuts i wouldn't worry about it

turn the ram 90 degrees where it connects to the axle( locate pin up and down) mine did the same thing and this fixed it your ram will want to travel the path of least reistance so when it pushes out, up or down is easier than turning the tires. when you turn the mount on the axle up or down is out of the question and leaves it no other option but to turn the tires. i dont know how long of a ram you have but you might even notice a little tighter turning becouse some of your travel now is lost to movement up or down

I bought some bushings from ace to take up some space on the pin and ram to limit the pivoting and keep the ram in a tighter position . less play and tighter steering.

Your ram on a single setup should be parallel to your tie rod, if it is at a angle like in the pics it will twist, like mentioned before it will take the path of least resistance.....