• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I havent seen it have you?

skipnrocks

So my dad was wheeling up a ledge last weekend and finally pulled the end of one of his air shocks that was damaged when on of his 3 link brackets failed last summer. It was on the front end so I talked him into a set of ORI's for the front.

He his buggy weighs in at 4200 lbs. I ordered a rebuild kit from WOD for the 16in air shock.

Now to the point, to bounce over things without bottoming his shocks we tuned them to stiffen them up, we also stiffened them up to keep them from unloading when turning and climbing. So he has an extra pair of shocks now sitting on the bench and I got to thinking why not double up the shocks on the rear, it would allow them as individuals to be less rigid since they wouldn't have to carry as much weight, and since also wouldnt require near as much air pressure which seems to me that it will have less pressure to unload. I am thinking we could smooth out the ride for him a bit and make a very stable buggy even more stable.

Is my logic flawed?

Right now it has 16in fox 2.0 shocks on the rear and 2.0 16in race runners on the front.

I've also wondered about adding a set of emulsion shocks to an existing pair of air shox to relieve the duty of damping and rebound since and since shock holds weight, dampens and rebounds, just a thought since I read under a shock thread on here that people running triple bypass shocks only use the coil over basically to Hold the weight of the vehicle up...? Inhve my air shox dialed in great
With very little body roll and they ride
Like a Cadillac , but on woops it would be nice to absorb some bounce and axle hop

Re: Re: I havent seen it have you?

I've seen a buggy with dual 2.0 airshocks all the way around.

If I had them laying there and it wouldn't take a whole lot of work, I'd try duals

Re: Re: I havent seen it have you?

TBItoy said:
I've seen a buggy with dual 2.0 airshocks all the way around.

If I had them laying there and it wouldn't take a whole lot of work, I'd try duals

Pretty sure Bobby Potts had that setup on his U4 buggy

skipnrocks said:
So my dad was wheeling up a ledge last weekend and finally pulled the end of one of his air shocks that was damaged when on of his 3 link brackets failed last summer. It was on the front end so I talked him into a set of ORI's for the front.

He his buggy weighs in at 4200 lbs. I ordered a rebuild kit from WOD for the 16in air shock.

Now to the point, to bounce over things without bottoming his shocks we tuned them to stiffen them up, we also stiffened them up to keep them from unloading when turning and climbing. So he has an extra pair of shocks now sitting on the bench and I got to thinking why not double up the shocks on the rear, it would allow them as individuals to be less rigid since they wouldn't have to carry as much weight, and since also wouldnt require near as much air pressure which seems to me that it will have less pressure to unload. I am thinking we could smooth out the ride for him a bit and make a very stable buggy even more stable.

Is my logic flawed?

Right now it has 16in fox 2.0 shocks on the rear and 2.0 16in race runners on the front.

Just for shits and giggles, what did you do to stiffen the air shocks up? I've been looking into this for quite awhile to help reduce body roll with my rig. If I ever get around to it, I plan on trying my hand at revalving mine, as they are valved at 30/90 right now.

TacomaJD said:
Just for shits and giggles, what did you do to stiffen the air shocks up? I've been looking into this for quite awhile to help reduce body roll with my rig. If I ever get around to it, I plan on trying my hand at revalving mine, as they are valved at 30/90 right now.

We added 20-25 cc of oil to each shock it turned it from a body roll king into a very stable rig..

skipnrocks said:
We added 20-25 cc of oil to each shock it turned it from a body roll king into a very stable rig..

Same weight oil or thicker? And that's a good testimony. Some ppl say it doesn't help much and some say it does. Maybe the ones it doesn't help much, has terrible link geometry from the get-go.

TacomaJD said:
Same weight oil or thicker? And that's a good testimony. Some ppl say it doesn't help much and some say it does. Maybe the ones it doesn't help much, has terrible link geometry from the get-go.

Same weight oil... Night and day! I am going to put the oil back to factory and mount the duals and then re-tune. I am hoping instead of running 280 psi with the dual shocks maybe only having to run 140 and then there will be less nitro trying to extend the shock out making it better at high speed?

skipnrocks said:
Same weight oil... Night and day! I am going to put the oil back to factory and mount the duals and then re-tune. I am hoping instead of running 280 psi with the dual shocks maybe only having to run 140 and then there will be less nitro trying to extend the shock out making it better at high speed?

Sounds like a good theory, but then again, I'm a newb :****:

don't waste your time. your thinking that with half the psi it will unload half as bad right. well you have twice and many shocks so your half as bad ends up double and your right back where you started.
you would only need two if one couldn't hold the weight, even then a bigger shock is going to be better.

tune the oil. or have someone do it for you.

link geometry has just as much if not more infuence on stability than the shocks do.
so if your link setup sucks it doesn't matter if you have coilovers or air shocks, your rig will still be unstable.

tiny said:
don't waste your time. your thinking that with half the psi it will unload half as bad right. well you have twice and many shocks so your half as bad ends up double and your right back where you started.
you would only need two if one couldn't hold the weight, even then a bigger shock is going to be better.

tune the oil. or have someone do it for you.

link geometry has just as much if not more infuence on stability than the shocks do.
so if your link setup sucks it doesn't matter if you have coilovers or air shocks, your rig will still be unstable.

The rig is very stable, geometry is good. We tuned the shocks and got rid of the body roll on it. I was hoping more to have a smoother ride. It rides a little rough in the rear... The front rides much better now with the ORI struts on there. I was hoping for a smoother ride by doubling the shocks up since we had to max out the oil levels for tuning to combat the weight of the rig. At 4200 lbs it should have had the 2.5 air shocks on it.

However I do understand what your saying about halving the psi would be a wash.

I take what I said about a waste of time back. somebody could argue that this whole sport is a waste of time, but I'd still do it anyway. the money has already been spent, so that don't matter. If it ain't going to be a real pain in that ass to put two more shocks on it go for it. just remember that you are going to have twice as much valving to deal with too. or you could sell\trade for some 2.5's
how much uptravel? do you know your rear unsprung weights?

Bobby runs twins more for the reason of half the shock loading so the Shocks don't fad nearly as quick

tiny said:
I take what I said about a waste of time back. somebody could argue that this whole sport is a waste of time, but I'd still do it anyway. the money has already been spent, so that don't matter. If it ain't going to be a real pain in that ass to put two more shocks on it go for it. just remember that you are going to have twice as much valving to deal with too. or you could sell\trade for some 2.5's
how much uptravel? do you know your rear unsprung weights?

I wondered about the valving. I dont know unsprung weight. I could probably guess based on gross weight, 4200 - 40in treps on raceline aluminum wheels and dana 60-70 combo both trussed. Most of the weight is in the front of this buggy. only real weight in the back is a 10 gal fuel cell and np205 tcase. front end has a 350. Battery radiator, onboard air and winch. But we are talking about moving the radiator, battery and onboard air to the back and remaking the front for visability.

jewylewy said:
Bobby runs twins more for the reason of half the shock loading so the Shocks don't fad nearly as quick

I watched some vids of his buggy and it gets it! I tried to find a build so I could see what he did for valving etc...