• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I'm scared

Riding anywhere near Kevin is going to end up getting you broken. He drives ol orange like it owes him money and he's got them deep pockets. booyang

Like others have said, parts will break. Just drive like you have some sense and it will happen less. I see people do dumb **** like hit an undercut ledge WFO and wonder why links rip off or knuckles break. You can learn a lot by watching video like was mentioned in another thread, but the best thing is seat time in your own rig. It doesn't even have to be super technical stuff. I used to ride my Xcab on 36iroks about every other weekend somewhere between Mtn City/Callalantee and Harlan. HOURS of seat time. That stupid little carbureted truck went more places than I ever thought it would and most of the time without me having to wail on it. But after a year + of wheelin it that often I could just feel whether it wanted it or not by the way it worked, and it wasn't always the line that worked for everyone else. I look back at most of my major breakage and can honestly say I was being a dumb **** when it happened. The times I've broken stuff just driving with some sense is much fewer and far between.

I am the most underbuilt of all of the rigs I typically wheel with and over the last year have made it around the parks just fine. I just don't look at every obstacle as make or break anymore. I'll gladly back down and go around or pull cable if I have to in order to save my **** for another trail. Its always fun to put on a show and I know I'll break at some point, I'm sure. But its not fun to be "that guy" if you're just being a ra-tard. Just enjoy wheelin and if you break, you and your buddies can drag that sucker out of there and go back to the shop, drink some beer and fix it better than before. Its all part of the deal.

All the talk about Spicer joints reminded me of another tip. If you're not running full circle snap rings on the caps (Yukon shafts are machined to do this) keep an eye on them. If you start to see the outline of the cap in the dirt it means the cap is spinning. It's a time bomb. They only spin so long before it spits the snap ring and it's over. When that cap comes out, it's gonna break the ears off the shaft(s). A few tack welds are cheap insurance on stock joints/ shafts.

kushKrawlin said:
I was gonna ask where the axles came from. I'm a firm Believer in the stock 456's in military axles. They are fawkin stout! I have Yukon stubs, the non greaseable spicer joints and stock inners. With a cute lil Spartan lunchbox.. All has been good. I'm in same boat as u and tony. Hell I think we all have enough common since to know when **** is at its point. Or for the most part anyways... Theres one thing I always seem to remember .. Was riding and chad was spottin or watching and says to me while I was on tub rock "hey kush, if them wheels ain't spinnin something gonna bust!! If you start comin down mash them Fukin brakes! Unless you just wanna break some ****".. Since then I have logged countless hours and watched countless morons. Even had to help a few! Haha bastards! I'm as weird as anyone when it comes to not breaking ****.. I live to ride.. Not Fukin ruin the weekend.
Dammit sorry .. Started rambling... :smoke:
You get what I'm sayin.. I think. :woot:
I was gonna say being the Christmas season and all, This is the most complete and coherent paragraph I have ever seen you post. I got halfway through it before I realized it was you. Good on ya brother man

Agreed that there is no replacement for seat time.

X15 on seat time. I am still on yota axles and they have held up pretty decent for me so far. I just don't do anything too stupid and she stays in one piece. I used to be that guy that would break a lot but I've only had to be pulled to the trailer twice. Both bad days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tmr has em http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=59

Really Tommy??? You know the harder I beat on Ol orange the more it likes it! I will have to say it holds together like a boss but I know the day is coming that something's gotta give!!

Plating your knuckles is great cheap insurance. Someone with the time could easily make their own pieces. Of the few ford and Chevy 60's I know running plated knuckles no one has had a failure after yrs of hard wheelin.

Yup parts break, just nature of the game. This break could've been real bad had I been farther in the trail. 14 bolt shaft broke and got bound up on itself and broke the spindle/spindle nut. Was able to drive out with only the caliper keeping the wheel from falling off.

bc7152d0db76482083b7758e32870b3d.jpg

Glad you posted this! I need to toss some spare lock nuts in the tool box for just such an event. Well, not THAT extreme as you have no threads to go back on, but I've seen some minor "egged" spindles that broke the lock rings when trying to remove.