• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

installing an amp in a 2004 2500hd?

s10me

Spoiled Rott'n Racing
has any 1 added an amp and sub to the factory 2500hd stereo? Mine has a Bose system from the factory and don't want to change the head unit.

Re:

Should be like most.....steal audio signal from rear speakers.....line out converter to RCAs....run regular power/ground/remote. Speaker outs to your sub.

I wanna say I read somewhere how to do it without doing what Tony recommended, but it'd take me some time to research the topic again to tell you. There are several audio forums that will return great info. Try doing a Google search for phrases like "adding amplifier Silverado Bose forum" Always type forum on the end of what you're searching for and you can avoid all the information-less shopping links.

IS yours crew or ext cab? I ask because I am curious of which sub box you are going to use. I looked at a few different options for my 06 crew 2500HD I had but never pulled the trigger on a sub and amp system. Mine didn't have Bose, just Pioneer head unit and Pioneer door speakers. I wanted a single 8" Sundown audio SD-2 2 ohm shallow sub in a single underseat ported box powered by a good Class D mono amp wired down to 1 ohm. I imagine that would be a damn good sounding system for an 8" sub. Would be cool for people to hear it and ask what it was then see their face when you tell them it's just a single 8".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNDOWN-AUDIO-SD-2-8-D2-8-SLIM-MOUNT-SUB-DUAL-2-OHMS-SHALLOW-BASS-SUBWOOFER-/121308787433?hash=item1c3e9132e9:m:mF1oh083JwI7BbOFObgSEXA&vxp=mtr

Before I decided on the Sundown Audio, I was gonna give Powerbass subs a try. They get good reviews for cheaper priced subs. I have a single 10" Memphis PR in a truck box and a 1000w cheap amp in the Saturn (gave $100 for the sub, box, and amp). It sounds great, great sq levels, but lower spl level. Other words, it sounds great for the music I listen to, but isn't astoundingly badass like most rap listeners desire.

I have a crew cab, I bought a used box cut to fit behind my seat. putting 1 8" Kicker for just a little more bass. Not trying to win any sound contests
'

If you want to complicate it, you can pull the center console and tap into the low level inputs at the amp(google search is how I found that....I have an 08 with the BOSE setup), but if you get a high quality grounded line out converter, don't run power wires next to speaker wires and have a great ground, I don't see the big issue.

It's gonna buzz trust me. I was told if I would actually ground my amp back to battery it would help but it's not terrible. It pops when you first turn key on also

Like with everything else, get what u pay for. high quality line converter and quality amp for the win, you can get away with a cheaper sub if the rest of the components are good. Just not $15 dollar flea market one.
Like the idea of keeping factory head unit for the cleaner look. Plus Bose system sounds pretty good to begin with, just needs a little Bass boost and you r set.

Re:

I've always liked Kicker products....and use HiFonics where I needed budget options.

I also like the "nano" amps that are out now. Amps the size of an owners manual and 400-700w of pure RMS power.

Re:

tonybolton said:
Maybe if you run some 20$ Pyramid or Boss amp. Higher quality amps have soft turn on circuitry.
I'm sorry I only went for the Rockford Fosgate single channel 1000 watt amp

Re:

Generally a good class D name brand amp will solve alota unwanted noises and quirks.

I've only ran lower end Fosgate products but even those were great.

Better watch out. It can cause the vehicle to not turn off when you turn the key off. I've seen it a few times. Must back feed power to places it shouldn't be with the key turned off.

I can repair on build any thing when it comes to any thing with a motor from cars, trucks, semis and tractor but have never been a real stereo talented person. is it better to go before the factory amp, or is it preference?

Re:

It's better....but I think in this case it's not a big deal since you're amping a subwoofer.

You really only need to steal a signal from one one speaker too. May save ya some time.

s10me said:
I can repair on build any thing when it comes to any thing with a motor from cars, trucks, semis and tractor but have never been a real stereo talented person. is it better to go before the factory amp, or is it preference?
I have a screen in mine so I bought the boss hookups and everything. If you make long trips I would do it this way so you can watch movies. While you are stopped of course