• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jeep Help / Advise

The metal in the pan is normal but I still think your trans is the issue. I don't think adjusting the bands will fix it but try it anyways as it's easy to do at this point. If a band were loose you would lose some of the gears not all of them.........When it was running if you had it in gear with the T case in neutral then shifted into park did it grind the park gear like if you put it in park with the Jeep rolling?
Mt GUESS is it's a trans pressure issue and a shop could probably test it if you had it together and took it to them.

I just read thru this and cant believe people were blaming a Tcase for slippage?

Tcases work or dont. They dont slip.

Your tranny is a POS auto that shouldnt be trusted until you pay a rebuilder to make it new.

It doesn't and hasn't "slipped" ... It doesn't move at all ...

There are quite a few metal shavings that are big ... Big like pencil shavings

Heres a start. I have personally never done it. But I know that when those trannys slip, sometimes all that is needed is to adjust the bands. You may need to just get them real tight:redneck: and you;ll have movement again.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7596902_adjust-band-jeep-grand-cherokee.html

There's a big mistake in that article you linked. For the low/ reverse band adjustment it says.....
Tighten the adjusting screw to the torque specifications listed. Tighten the locknut to the specified torque while holding the screw with pliers
Between the tighten the adjusting screw and the tighten the locknut you must first back the screw off just like you did the other band. I don't know the specs for that trans but it's probably about 2 turns.
If you don't do this the band can't release and it will always be in that gear.:mad:

There's a big mistake in that article you linked. For the low/ reverse band adjustment it says.....

Between the tighten the adjusting screw and the tighten the locknut you must first back the screw off just like you did the other band. I don't know the specs for that trans but it's probably about 2 turns.
If you don't do this the band can't release and it will always be in that gear.:mad:

speak from exp, eh???:redneck:

From what I read on the net :rolleyes::rolleyes: there are no band adjustments for the AW-4.
Don't know for sure if this is true.
There is a "kickdown" cable adjustment though.....A kickdown cable is a variable line pressure device. Typically a poorly adjusted cable the trans will still work but not shift right. If it's left adjusted wrong for a longer period of time it could lead to early wearing of the trans....I would check for a missing or broken kickdown which could explain missing all gears.

From what I read on the net :rolleyes::rolleyes: there are no band adjustments for the AW-4.
Don't know for sure if this is true.
There is a "kickdown" cable adjustment though.....A kickdown cable is a variable line pressure device. Typically a poorly adjusted cable the trans will still work but not shift right. If it's left adjusted wrong for a longer period of time it could lead to early wearing of the trans....I would check for a missing or broken kickdown which could explain missing all gears.

If it is an aw4 the TV cable won't make a lick of difference if it's hooked up, not hooked up or out of adjustment as to whether it moves or not. All the throttle valve does is up the line pressure for a firmer shift that doesn't slip. You can pull the cable all the way out and lock it down and it'll shift hard at low speeds just like it's at full throttle etc. Shifting at the wrong time is all about the throttle position sensor. This trans isn't like a turbo hydramatic that gets its throttle position info from the carburetor linkage. :redneck:

"Jumps foreward a touch" implies that the T case is working.

Thats what I read too.

The tranny is slipping so bad that it doesnt even give a hint of doing anything till its put into low range where it then has enough gearing to gain a little more ooomph and make it feel like a jump/lurch for a second.

That right there tells me the tcase is working in both ranges like normal and that the tranny is junk.

If it doesnt even move at all in Hi but will jump in low than Im going to guess that some woman drove it with it slipping till it would not move at all, then told her husband, "it dont go" and he then decided to sell it to you?

I bet she cooked all remaining life out of. If an adjustment makes it move again, I would NOT leave town in it. Thats just me tho.

Its a v8 grand cherokee, its not an aw4. I think it is a 46RH which is basically a TF727 with OD.

you might hafta run the pan gasket to the parts store and compare the shape to be sure but a 93 i thought were aw4.
did you cycle through the t-case settings from underneath with a pair of vice grips or something to be sure its not a linkage problem? grinding noises when you play with the shifter to me would indicate power is getting through the tranny, but....
tranny should be in neutral and you might hafta rock it a bit to shift.

Last edited:
That is not an aw4 pan. They have 18 or 20 8mm bolts, have a drain plug in the pan and 4" tube for the dipstick to go into