• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

just got the shaft---OUCH... "economy" what a chicken **** excuse

muchado

I've been in the application process for grad school... I'm wanting to go back to get my MBA... Our company has a policy for reimbursment "educational assistance program"... Sounded great--- 100% reimbursement for A's and B's.. 80% for C's...

...just got an email today saying the program is suspended. SWEET. ::) Wasted an application fee and 2 nights meeting w/ rep over there ::) I think it's pretty shitty for a company that brings in what they do to kill this program... not many people take advantage of it either so it can't cost THAT much.. :dunno: Extremely bummed because I was very excited that grad school was getting paid for :-[.... It does not sound like they are going to reinstate the program any time soon either. Economy is great excuse to cut everything!

...at the end of the day though I still have a job and am grateful for that.

P said:
Such are the times brother.... sucks but hey, at least you didnt get laid off ! thumb.gif

I kno it.. I am glad I didnt get laid off. Just wish I woulda known a month ago when I paid $45 that's goin down the toilet...

It is kinda ironic the person who emailed it this notice (in HR) was the same lady a month ago when I asked about the economy affecting the program (because I didn't want this to happen and waste my time applying and paying app fee) she said oh no they won't cut the educational assistance laughing1 ::) ::) ::)

I'd like to ask if they'll re-imburse the app fee laughing1

How expensive is the MBA? Mine only cost me about $4k because I had a full time job. If it is cheap enough that you can cover it may still be worth it. An MBA is a big advantage

Not exactly the same but similar thing happens with me.

To be a career tech teacher you are required to take about 18 classes after you are hired. Now keep in mind that you have to have these in order to continue to teach if you so wish. The bad is that nobody pays for them except you. Even though I have an associates degree in welding I still have to have these classes that I have to pay for. To make this story better. My wife teaches for the same school system, state department, and so forth and they pay for all the classes that she is required to have after she is hired. :dunno:

Matt O. said:
How expensive is the MBA? Mine only cost me about $4k because I had a full time job. If it is cheap enough that you can cover it may still be worth it. An MBA is a big advantage

The program I was going to do was pretty damn expensive.. I'm going to switch gears and see what the alternatives are and how I can just foot it out of pocket. If I pay for the degree(vs. being reimbursed for it) I'm also not lock'd into my job here which can be a good thing if I make good contacts in class.

Also student loans are the best kind of debt to have since the rates are SMALL, period is long and interest is tax deductable. Well worth it

Matt O. said:
Also student loans are the best kind of debt to have since the rates are SMALL, period is long and interest is tax deductable. Well worth it

I'm definetly checking into that. thumb.gif

Talked to HR and it's corporate driven.... Soul-less bastards laughing1 laughing1 ...you know decision was made by guys makin over 1/4 mil.. what does it matter to them ::)

Check into the Columbia College MBA program. It's reasonably priced, and they have a campus in KC. You can take online courses as well. I have a friend that is on the admissions council and she wheels.

B Gillespie said:
Check into the Columbia College MBA program. It's reasonably priced, and they have a campus in KC. You can take online courses as well. I have a friend that is on the admissions council and she wheels.

Cool thanks B booyang

I also agree that you should continue to persue your MBA, even if your employer will not reimburse you. On average, persons with a graduate degree earn 140-150% of persons with a Bachelors. The current economy will affirm these trends as well with firms seeking higher qualified applicants. With most MBA programs equalling 36 hours, the additional cost of an MBA significantly less than a Bachelors and greatly offset by the increased earning potential. Also surprising is the number of companies and positions who require a graduate degree. Full time graduate study is also half of the full time hour requirement for undergrad at most intitutions.

Rob, what is your cumulative undergraduate GPA?

Some schools will require you to take the GMAT or GRE. Many will exempt you with a specified minimum UGPA.

If you think $45 was bad, test prep for ANY entrance exam is almost necessary and averages over $1000. I am at about $3000 with law school entrance, and I have not paid any application fees to individual schools.

Undergrad GPA won't get me in... Trust me. GPA suffered I cared more about traveling for video. Paid off though because after my capstone presentation of my video production business I recieved a letter from the President of the university about All My Dirty Friends 2 thumb.gif

I'm going to see if the company will make educational assistance retro-active---that way I could pay for it with financial aid now and then when they re-instate the program get reimbursed---or pay it off myself slowly at low interest rates.

My whole idea was right now is a great time for me to do this--since I have no wiff, chittlin's or any other distractions. Ryan has been aggresivly taking over more of the biz responsibilities and I feel right now is THE time for me to get into a MBA program... Wait much longer I might not be able to.

If your GPA is below 3.0, you will need to prepare a GOOD case to get into ANY graduate program (other than the unaccredited online trash schools). Your video biz will help, but nothing cures a bad cumulative UGPA. I am going through this now with my admissions apps for grad and law school. My cumulative gpa is aweful, but my degree gpa rocks. In your situation, you will need to express serious desire to get admitted.

Where are you looking at going? UMKC? I only know of them and CC, are there any other schools?

You can get into a good program if you rock the gmat or gre, but it's not easy and takes 3-12 months to prepare for properly. Many scoff at school rankings, but they make a huge difference when you are looking for a big money job.

Check out US News & World Report's web page for school rankings
Kaplan for test prep; certainly not the best, but ok
Research the GMAT and gre

B Gillespie said:
If your GPA is below 3.0, you will need to prepare a GOOD case to get into ANY graduate program (other than the unaccredited online trash schools). Your video biz will help, but nothing cures a bad cumulative UGPA. I am going through this now with my admissions apps for grad and law school. My cumulative gpa is aweful, but my degree gpa rocks. In your situation, you will need to express serious desire to get admitted.

Where are you looking at going? UMKC? I only know of them and CC, are there any other schools?

You can get into a good program if you rock the gmat or gre, but it's not easy and takes 3-12 months to prepare for properly. Many scoff at school rankings, but they make a huge difference when you are looking for a big money job.

Check out US News & World Report's web page for school rankings
Kaplan for test prep; certainly not the best, but ok
Research the GMAT and gre

I applied at Baker University... Their campus in in Baldwin City(south of Lawrence). They have a satelite campus in Johnson County close to work. The program has strict work experience requirements and therefore they do not require GMAT. I talked with the admissions rep about my business and I think I have a strong case for getting in. Program is 1 night a week for 22 months from 6-10 and then you have another ~4 hours a week outside of class focus group stuff to do plus whatever other things that are assigned to review/complete between the weekly classes.

Check out their rank and accredidation. Also find out if their credits will transfer to Mizzou or Columbia College. No point in getting an MBA if it doesn't if the diploma isn't worth the paper they typed it on. You might want to look into starting off at Baker or CC and transferring into umkc. You will still might have to take the GMAT or gre, but if you have a 3.5+ from the school you start out at, I doubt it. With transferring you would spend less money, get in easier, and get a better degree.

Don't rule out taking the GMAT or gre. It's a standardized test, so you can beat it. If you put enough effort into it to get a high score, you could cinch admission to a great program with some monies.

B Gillespie said:
Check out their rank and accredidation. Also find out if their credits will transfer to Mizzou or Columbia College. No point in getting an MBA if it doesn't if the diploma isn't worth the paper they typed it on. You might want to look into starting off at Baker or CC and transferring into umkc. You will still might have to take the GMAT or gre, but if you have a 3.5+ from the school you start out at, I doubt it. With transferring you would spend less money, get in easier, and get a better degree.

Don't rule out taking the GMAT or gre. It's a standardized test, so you can beat it. If you put enough effort into it to get a high score, you could cinch admission to a great program with some monies.

They are accredited I asked and crap I forget which organization it is. She said it's the same accreditation organization that KU is accredited by.

I'm thinking of going into the shirt and tie workforce as well. My undergrad GPA was over 3.3 and I kill standardized tests. I'm wondering whether to get a job first then go for schooling in case they'll pay for it or vise versa. Really idle thought right now, but my body is saying "quit standing on concrete all ****ing day and night" to me more every day as 30 approaches.

blacksheep10 said:
I'm thinking of going into the shirt and tie workforce as well. My undergrad GPA was over 3.3 and I kill standardized tests. I'm wondering whether to get a job first then go for schooling in case they'll pay for it or vise versa. Really idle thought right now, but my body is saying "quit standing on concrete all ****ing day and night" to me more every day as 30 approaches.

Lucky for most of us.. shirt and tie for the most part is a thing of the past. Most offices practice business casual (button up or polo and slacks) thumb.gif