• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Kayak tech

mckeddie

So me and the wifey are on a get less fat kick, and also, trying to avoid indoors on weekends. We have been talking about getting kayaks for awhile now. Went to a buddy's lake last weekend and tried a few of his out, and loved them.

What do I need to look for? What keeps them more stable? Length or width? What are some good brands that are affordable?

Anyone that has one, what features do and don't you like? We are gonna just use them on the rivers around here, neither of us fish or anything, just relaxing/excercise.

Whatever u get make sure it's got a nice seat in it if you plan to spend more than an hour at a time out on the water. I got two cheap yak's with folding plastic seats built in and they kill your lower back after a while.

The width helps with stability while the length helps with tracking in a straight line. Old Town and a few others make affordable kayaks that will last. I like mine to have deck rigging to be able store things like a map or fishing stuff. And don't skimp $$ on the paddle.... a quality lightweight paddle can make the difference between fun and work. Check out some of the small folding sail's on ebay for windy days, ,it makes for some real speed sometimes. :dblthumb:

Lots of different options here, there are kayaks for ever purpose. Sounds like you are looking for more of a recreational boat, rather than fishing or whitewater. That being said, top manufacturers are Jackson, liquid Logic, dagger, Perception. Stay away from wal mart kayaks, find a good outfitter store in your area and Demo!!!! Also try and think ahead while purchaseing. If there is any chance you might want to run mild whitewater in the future look for a good cross over boat.

I wish i could help more, but i am more of a whitewater paddler. So im not much help on flatwater boats:/

5BrothersFabrication said:
Why not ask the feller you borrowed the kayak from?

They traded a boat and 2 jet skis in on a boat, 5 kayaks and 2 paddle boards. They have $$$ and know nothing about them. Lol

I don't know the physics of them. But I think there's more to it than just width = stability. My brother has a canoe that is more narrow than mine but infinitely more stable. I think it has more to do with hull design. And it really matters, too. His is longer than mine by about 2' and it does track straighter. But it's also rated for double the capacity as mine and when we canoe together we load his down with all the gear, leave mine empty, and his STILL goes faster! His is lighter, too! Frustrating as hell! :)

Basically my canoe is my brother's canoe's bitch. :) They're both good brands, too!

Re:

You want one with length, if you get a short and wide one, you'll be constantly paddling trying to keep it strait and it's harder to get through the water.
You done need a $500 kayak to have fun, I payed $175 for mine new over 8 years ago and it's still going strong. Buy a paddle off eBay it will save you some cash.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My opinion here may be a little more costly than what you're looking to do, but If you are going to use them regularly look at the Jackson Cruise. If you start out in a budget type kayak, chances are you will find yourself looking to upgrade very soon. Not that there is anything wrong with a budget kayak, as they will do most anything the average person wants to do. Kind of like buying a base model automobile. Anyhow, the Cruise is the best of all worlds when it comes to a do all kayak. It is a sit on top design. Plenty stable enough to stand and stretch and or fish if you ever wanted to. Comfortable seating. It is offered in a 10 and 12 foot model. Ample storage. Plenty fast enough for the lake and agile enough to run rivers. The cruise will run class 2-3 whitewater depending on operator skill level. Most Jackson kayaks are offered in a number of different color schemes for his or hers. This would be my choice as a do all recreation boat. Good luck with whatever you decide.

patooyee, you are correct in that assumption. Hull design plays a large roll in stability along with both length and width.

We have several, some I have had for 10+ years. I recommend trying a "sit in" and "sit on top" (ocean kayak) before deciding what you like. I started out on a sit in and that's all I knew for years. I have found that even for floating down the river I now prefer a "sit on top" (ocean kayak). with those you have more room to maneuver and aren't as confined as a "sit in", but again, it is all personal preference.

I do strongly recommend a good seat (good back support), some type of storage area, paddle holder ( we have rigged some up for under $5 ), and a cup holder ( again not a biggie as you can find clip on cup holders for like $5 online).

As far as brands, I have had a swifty 9.5 for over 10 years and I still enjoy using it, they can be had for around $250 depending on what time of year you purchase them. I think they are now owned by a different company (maybe perception, not sure).

The next one I get will be a mad river adventure (either 14 or 16 footer). They are expensive (650-800) but are well worth the $, they are a hybrid kayak/canoe of sorts.

Unless you are an avid river goer (like every weekend), I wouldn't spend the money on a Jackson. There are plenty of $150-250 kayaks out there that are comfortable and stable enough. I can't see spending $1500+ on a kayak for one person. Just my 2c.

I test drove several and decided on a Wilderness Systems 120. I'm around 260-275 depending on the the month. Lol. This boat is really nice and tracked good, and was hard to roll. Some folks say to practice rolling i agree it lets you know the boat really similar to a jeep. Once you get to paddling you'll prob spring for a high dollar oar, I know it's hard to believe but 2-3lbs makes a huge difference. Also wear your life jacket. **** happens fast especially around drunk boaters.

Also not sure of your weight but I was told to get one rated 200lbs more than you if you plan to carry anything.

16ab4b424ffbd1069709576b76e64e75.jpg

798bb4c62c35ac529cc16a39ca0a249a.jpg
f5bedab45cda4d859d63765e2486bdf4.jpg

Perception makes some good kayaks for beginners. 10ft or longer. Get a one piece kayak. Not a seamed one like walmart or really cheap ones.
The ones with the seat bottom pad and a folding backrest are usually nicer. Cabelas has the emotion guster 10 on sale for $297.
My wife loves hers. Just for reference we are fairly small peoples i weigh in at about 175 and wouldnt want to use it if i was much bigger

Re:

I have a dagger axis 10.5 and its comfortable enough to make 6+ hour trips on flat water but i can put the skirt on it and run mild white water. I have the Hiawassee and the Nantahala several times in it with no problems

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk