• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

knuckle reinforcement

06blktj

I am running a ford 60 and sheared knuckle a few weeks ago just below the high steer. I may be able to get another stock knuckle that has a small crack. Question is would I be wasting time and money plating a stock knuckle? Should I just pony up and buy solid or reid, or would it be just as good with some reinforcement.

Carnage

Re: Re: knuckle reinforcement

If you've got the coin and the "recovery " left a foul taste in your mouth....steering can never be OVER DONE in my opinion.

I had some studs break and that was enough for me. I look at it as insurance. ..not an upgrade.

f6ceb1d61f2a5a64375e797965ddee85.jpg

It's the added stress of the high steer that kills those knuckles. They just weren't designed to handle that much force at the top of the knuckle. I've seen some really beefy plated knucle setups. It's definitely a cheaper way to go, but it is more work. If you do stay with stock knuckles tie the high steer into the stock location like the setup tonybolton posted. That will help a lot.

If you have the coin I'd go with some crane knuckles. I have them on my 60 and they are beef and the high steer arms are keyed to the knuckles.

If plating stock knuckles are a better option for you then there are some kits out there that look to be pretty decent. Search Google for "plated dana 60 knuckle" and you'll see plenty of ideas and kits

007800x600.jpg

I also like how coleworx ties the knuckle and high steer arms together

767587872_CCEdt-M.jpg

If you do the fab work yourself, plating may be a good way to go. If you're gonna pay someone, I'd price bolt on after market parts.

Ok looked up the crane knuckles last night. Unless I find a sponsor on here (hint to the rich guys) those aren't gonna happen. They do look awesome but I just can't swing that on a cop salary. If i do decide to plate stock ones I will be doing the work myself. I have some plate that I would make templates out of paper and cut out instead of buying a kit. They would just be temporary until I can afford an aftermarket set