• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Leaf spring options

Do Work 93YJ

Just wanting to get some ideas for better leaf springs for the front of my YJ. I've been running stock YJ springs for a while and haven't had to many problems but know that I'm running 39"reds it seems I'm destroying springs every other ride. Been talking to a couple of guys and they have told me to do a shackle reversal and find a set of springs that are military wrapped. Is there a certain set to look for off other trucks in the bone yard are is there companys out there that make good springs that are worth the money. :dunno:

AW hell no don,t do no damnded shackle reversal man, yer damn frontend will get pushed back and you will break yer damn trans or transfer case, "Ive seen you drive :flipoff1:"

Take a stock YJ leaf and cut the eyes off it, take another stock YJ leaf apart and add it in right under the main leaf & bolt it back together,it will last longer than a stocker,

and yer ride heigth wont change :dblthumb:

OH YEA... ;D

Ive had FOUR cups of coffee this morngin molaugh

or you could just get the hell rid of em & link yer front....like I simply MUST do to my junk :****:

that would be the most wisest of all

Get up with Keith at Orc he get some military wrap that he gaurntee's for 200 bucks if u bend one brake one he will replace it

Scott I may have to try that with the YJ springs since I have so many laying around. I'm on the fence right now with linking it cause if I do I want to do coilovers and I don't know if I wanna drop that kinda change into it.

You also must do this to correct youre set up and stop that damn flippin over center problem you have with youre shackles......

....torch the mounts off where the shackles bolt to the bottom of youre frame at and MOVE THEM BACK about 1.5-2".......this will set the shackle at a "LEAN" and stop that flippin over center crap.

Look at mine compared to yers...........

MSORP090-1.jpg

see how my shackles LEAN back......you WANT this........ :dblthumb:............NOT this..........

MSORP072.jpg

And a BIG YES to them military wrap springs, and also a traction bar, yo frontend raps harder than a brother OD ed on some meth :****:

Heres a better pic of my set up , complete with the most baddest ass cheap traction system on this planet installed ;D

AZALEA008.jpg

AZALEA009.jpg

Did you check yo pics out on the trail ride section yet :dunno:

Thanks for all the info man and now that you pointed it out I'm defiantly going to look into moving my hangers back. After the ride I was already talking about stealing your idea on the traction bar. And yes the pics are great just been busy working out of town alot so don't have time to get on as much. :drinkers:

I had similar problems before, I put a set of 1/2 ton Dodge front springs on it and problem has been solved. They will give you a inch or so stretch also.

If you want to be cheap get those military springs that they will replace if you brake one and do the traction bar at the same time.

If you want to do it right...4 -link the front.

I wadded up several sets of rough country springs, I went to skyjacker rock ready springs with the miltary wrap and added a ladder bar to the front with rockwells and haven't had an issue since, springs were 150$ each when I bought em 4 years ago, I did drill the center bolts out to half inch as well

I've built several trail jeeps with leafs in front, we always use square body chevy springs from rough country, take out 2 leafs and put the shackles in the back. Flex good, does not hop, and have never tweaked one yet!

Take a look at BDS's Michael, they have a no fine print warranty and you can pick them up semi-locale (Nothside of town). I've got BDS on everything, I agree with Scott on the shackles. thumb.gif

ive got rustys 3.5 on my sammi with shackle rev. not a problem for me. have had them for about 5 years now

Dwalk and Elliott when yall went to half ton springs did yall have to redo your spring hangers. Just wondering if they are the same width and lenght. :dunno:

I make a solid mount in front, bore a hole in the frame for the shackle mount, weld in a small piece of pipe and machine a piece of nylon for a bushing to go into that piece of pipe. Then you just need to make some shackles out of some flat stock. I will look and see if I have some pictures on my computer of one I've done like this. It's actually very easy to do.

On the Dodge springs, I didnt have to change anything. Already had Boomerang shackles on it.
frt.jpg

Do Work 93YJ said:
Dwalk and Elliott when yall went to half ton springs did yall have to redo your spring hangers. Just wondering if they are the same width and lenght. :dunno:

DSC01491.jpg

DSC01492.jpg

DSC01493.jpg

DSC01496.jpg