• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Learn me about slide in campers...

P

If its free, its P
Not your gay camp partner,but the pickup bed type of slide inside.
1. Do they become insured under your vehicles insurance or require separate ?
2. They don't require separate registration n stuff do they ?
3. What do they typically weigh for a simple common ( cheap ) style unit ?

P said:
Not your gay camp partner,but the pickup bed type of slide inside.
1. Do they become insured under your vehicles insurance or require separate ?
2. They don't require separate registration n stuff do they ?
3. What do they typically weigh for a simple common ( cheap ) style unit ?

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/27.cfm

1-I had a rider added to my truck insurance.
2-No separate registration, tag or title in Alabama; just swap tag from truck to camper.
3-If you are talking about a tc with a bathroom, 2,500 lbs and up...........way up.

P - if you are talking about a Ford with a 6.0, then let me highly recommend you :

EGR Delete
Do the 7.3 cooling fan converstion
Blue Spring Mod
Get an SCT Tuner

I just turned 310,000 on my '06 and those are the best mods you can do for the money.

I've been looking into them as well. You can spend as much if not more than on a pull behind. And if you plan on pulling a trailer keep in mind length. Some would require you to use a hitch extention or what ever you call it and I don't think I'd want to extend mine out very much pulling a full size trailer.

I have a mid 80s slide in. Dry weight is around 1k lbs. I'd recommend air bags. They make the ride so much better once you hook up a trailer. Also if it don't have a carbon monoxide detector I'd get one. I love mine and have been thinking about upgrading to a bigger/newer unit.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

ranger11 said:
I have a mid 80s slide in. Dry weight is around 1k lbs. I'd recommend air bags. They make the ride so much better once you hook up a trailer. Also if it don't have a carbon monoxide detector I'd get one. I love mine and have been thinking about upgrading to a bigger/newer unit.

Pics ? I am Simple, Cheap, realistic that I won't use it much kinda guy. I will get in it to sleep and that is it. I won't finance one, I won't look for match my truck , cool points. It's a tool to me.
My truck is a thirsty Chevy 6.0 gasser, also just a tool to me.

I feel the same as you. Its so much better than tent camping. We even slept 4 adults in it one trip.
277c14bced76d23369097f28668ca8cc.jpg

Heck yeah, that's excellent. I have a co worker with a truck bed tent. Getting it from him tomorrow to see if I dig it. Always wanted a slide in to do the bigger trailer, and put slide in on front of a gooseneck. Seems like a great set up to me.

Slide in campers are built like rvs. Cheap and they leak. I have seen some cool fiberglass ones pop up on govdeals. Kind of like electrical companies use.
But realistically, by the time you slide it in your truck and hook up a trailer it pulls like hell and it takes too long to get ready. Put it on a flat bed like you said.
The best thing I've ever done in off-roading is found an $3800 32 foot enclosed. Tools, storage, secured garage for rig, place to sleep, 10 min your ready to hit the road...
but I know your shagin wagon will never fit, so buy a long flatbed and build a storage/camper on the front or roll a pop up or slide in one the front.

Somebody need this unit
a4d8180c2943166943f3fc23f542b68d.jpg

It is covered/registered with my truck insurance.
No extension hitch needed in a long bed. Although this unit is for a short bed truck.
Weight isn't a big problem if you have a 3/4 ton truck or better. Actually makes my 1ton a dream to drive when towing.
The newer you get,the better off you'll be. No leaks on my unit. Seals get inspected and cleaned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are on our 3rd pickup camp in 25 years. Started out with a $500 special and we had a old Chevy 3/4ton. Used that for a few years.
Then we upgraded to 1 ton dually and a bigger pickup camper (11') and a 18' car hauler. Had to run a 3' extension on it. and up graded the hitch to a class 5. We ran this set up for about 10 years.
New we have a 2001 dully with a bigger yet pickup camper (11' but with a slide out). Pick has a 30,000 class hitch that has both class 5 and class 3 hitch on it. Still have to use the 3' extension but now it has 2 bars. and we have a 20' deck over car hauler. We've had this set up for about 10 years. And we will problem be keeping for enough 10 years maybe longer. No leaks. Never had any leaks on any of the ones we had. But just like anything else you have to maintain them.
The wife loves it. The camper has solar power, a generator (for when she wants to microwave something or run the ac). the generator is big enough to run the ark welder we carry with in the jobber box that is mounted on the trailer. All the orv parks up here is Michigan just have primitive camping. No power, water just port a johns.
She likes to go camping off grid. We spent a week this year camping on Lake Superior in a small privative camp ground right on the beach. No power, pump well, vault toilets.
We are set up so we can camp for about a week and don't need to hook up to any power or water.
We have found that we use the camper a lot.
We general use it about 5 to 6 weeks every year.
It is a little much for me (the 2 times I have gone by my self). But it keeps momma happy and she is always ready to go with me. And it beats sleeping in a tent.

If you buy a nice one and are looking for insurance, you need put a seperate policy on camper. Piggy backing on your truck policy will not cover any damage that might happen to camper while in the truck, at best your looking at a liability coverage. With that said i run a 11+ foot camper and pull 18k trailer with 2 rigs most times with super hitch and love my setup, tows really nice. I'd 2nd gettimg airbags they really help with rocking side to side while driving down the road.

I have a Lance 1131.. We love the camper.. It wasn't cheap, nor is it light. Tag on it says 4100lbs, but it is closer to 4800lbs. Sleeps 7 people very comfortably. When we bought it, we didn't even get a title from the dealer, just a MSO. We have a separate rider for insurance. So far we have pulled our 3600lb boat and a built jeep TJ on tons, on a HD18ft trailer with no issues. We have been talking about selling it to switch to a new Sundowner for more storage, but we really love this camper so we haven't been in a real rush
38448916_2362862210407057_3622334598077218816_n.jpg

ridered3 said:
^ That is a MASSIVE slide in camper!

How long of a hitch extension do you have to use?

I built my own 48". It uses a piece of 3x3 x.5" out of the factory receiver. I then built a secondary triangulated "frame" that goes all the way up to just behind the cab. It also bolts into the frame in a few spots along the way, and doubles as part of the tie down anchors for the camper. I am going to redo it after our next trip and raise it 6". We have been using it pretty much every other weekend for the last 2yrs with no issues. So far the waffle house by AOP is the only place it has scraped the ground. We love the camper, it is the perfect size living space wise. What is great is we can offload it and still use the truck to do running if need be. We do wish it had more storage space and holding tank capacities.

fl-krawler said:
I have a Lance 1131.. We love the camper.. It wasn't cheap, nor is it light. Tag on it says 4100lbs, but it is closer to 4800lbs. Sleeps 7 people very comfortably. When we bought it, we didn't even get a title from the dealer, just a MSO. We have a separate rider for insurance. So far we have pulled our 3600lb boat and a built jeep TJ on tons, on a HD18ft trailer with no issues. We have been talking about selling it to switch to a new Sundowner for more storage, but we really love this camper so we haven't been in a real rush
38448916_2362862210407057_3622334598077218816_n.jpg
Our second pickup camper was a lance 1140 that was this long. Now we have a Artic fox that is just as long but has a bump out. The bump out adds a lot of usable room inside. The Artic Fox was recommended to us. When I was researching pickup campers for a new one I would up talking to a company on the east coast that all they sell is pickup campers. And when I told him what we do and how we use it. He said we want the Artic Fox. They are the (were at the time) only truly 4 season pickup camper. And since we camp in the Michigan's upper peninsula in the winter he said Artic Fox. And the model we have is 1150 artic Fox. And we picked this one because you don't have to open the slide to us the bathroom. So when you are on them long trips and someone really has to use the bathroom you can just pull over.
WE have a Torklift SuperHitch (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/TorkLift/TLC1211-30.html)on our truck and we use the 60" extension on it. We tow a 20' deck over car hauler with either a juggy or JKU on it.
It has its own insurance policy.
I also highly recommend that what ever camper you get you change all the lights in it over to led. Your camper batteries will last longer on a charge.