• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lets talk about toyota diffs

84turbotoy

Well I pulled down a third to put some 488's in and my pinion is wayy to shallow plus I feel a small tight spot in the pinion so I figure I will order a master kit. My problem is that I have no clue on the year model of this diff and there are two separate intal kits (85 and down and 86 up) I have always swapped these diffs freely, is there anyone that can shine some light on this for me because I had no clue of a difference.

one uses a crush sleeve and one has a solid shim on pinion. Can't remember wich one but all the stuff is the same except for that. If the one you are trying to setup had a crush sleeve thats already been set to another gear set then thats your problem.

There are two types of stock 4cyl pinion bearings, and gear sets.

From the factory the '85 and older had a short pinion head and a thick pinion bearing. The aftermarket "4cyl" gears and pinion bearings are this style. Also, the '85 down "4.10's" were actually 4.11's, having 37 teeth on the ring and 9 on the pinion.

In '86 toyota went to a longer pinon head and used a shorter pinion bearing to allow for the extra thickness. These longer pinion gears are known as "V6" gears by the aftermarket. In '86 they also switched to a true 4.10 ratio using 41 ring teeth and 10 on the pinion. This diff uses the same carrier bearings as the older style.

V6 diffs have a totally different (and stronger) housing, carrier, and bearing kit from the 4cyl , but there was actually no difference in the factory gear sets from the later model 4cyl. They have the same long pinion head gear set as the '86 up 4cyl. All bearings are bigger than the 4cyl and do not swap.

'79-'83 used a solid pinion spacer from the factory. '84 up had a crush sleeve.

So, in reality there is no "V6" or "4cyl" specific gear sets. Only "long pinion" or "short pinion" . There are two types of 4cyl pinion bearings, pre '85 "thick" bearings or '86 up "thin" bearings.

You can use any 8" gear set in a 4cyl housing as long as you have the correct front pinion bearing to match whatever gearset you have.

The only way to put short pinion gears in a V6 housing is to add enough shim to make up the difference in pinion thickness. (about .100")

Hope this helps. thumb.gif

bluetoy said:

From the factory the '85 and older had a short pinion head and a thick pinion bearing. The aftermarket "4cyl" gears and pinion bearings are this style. Also, the '85 down "4.10's" were actually 4.11's, having 37 teeth on the ring and 9 on the pinion.

In '86 toyota went to a longer pinon head and used a shorter pinion bearing to allow for the extra thickness. These longer pinion gears are known as "V6" gears by the aftermarket. In '86 they also switched to a true 4.10 ratio using 41 ring teeth and 10 on the pinion. This diff uses the same carrier bearings as the older style.

V6 diffs have a totally different (and stronger) housing, carrier, and bearing kit from the 4cyl , but there was actually no difference in the factory gear sets from the later model 4cyl. They have the same long pinion head gear set as the '86 up 4cyl. All bearings are bigger than the 4cyl and do not swap.

So, in reality there is no "V6" or "4cyl" specific gear sets. Only "long pinion" or "short pinion" . There are two types of 4cyl pinion bearings, pre '85 "thick" bearings or '86 up "thin" bearings.

You can use any 8" gear set in a 4cyl housing as long as you have the correct front pinion bearing to match whatever gearset you have.

The only way to put short pinion gears in a V6 housing is to add enough shim to make up the difference in pinion thickness. (about .100")

The Toyota master has spoken! Is there anything you don't know bout a Yota? ;D :dblthumb:

bluetoy said:

Learn something new everyday!

Re: Re: Re: Lets talk about toyota diffs

B.DRAKE said:
The Toyota master has spoken! Is there anything you don't know bout a Yota? ;D :dblthumb:
That's why they call him Toyota Nick :****:
I done learned something today!

There's plenty I still don't know, and there's others around here who are very knowledgable.

I've turned a few wrenches on a toyota and learned a few things in the process. Just glad to help out where I can. thumb.gif

84turbotoy, it sounds like you were trying to put a short pinion ("4cyl") gear set with the factory '86 up "thin" pinion bearing. This would be why your pinion was way too shallow. Sit the old pinion and the new pinion side by side and see if the new one is shorter by about .100". If so, you need the thicker bearing kit.

if you are setting up short pinion head gears in a v6 diff (or in a 4cyl with the late model pinion bearing)

you can get the "thick shims" at most hardware stores. They are either called "spacer bushings" or "machinery bushings".

Fastenal has a couple different thicknesses available also

http://www.fastenal.com/web/search/product/fasteners/washers/bushings/_/Navigation?searchterm=&sortby=webrank&sortdir=descending&searchmode=&refine=~|categoryl1:"600000 Fasteners"|~ ~|categoryl2:"600089 Washers"|~ ~|categoryl3:"600093 Bushings"|~ ~|sattr01:^1-3/8"$|~

Another thing to keep in mind: the factory 4.88 gears that came in some of the early '90s V6 4runners are unique. They do not interchange with anything other than another factory 4.88 third, and aftermarket gears do not work with that carrier.