• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Limit strap and bump placement.

Eddyj

So I'm setting up my bumps and limit straps. The problem I'm having is with a narrow buggy and wide axles. The coilovers mount about 8 inches further out on the axles then the bumps. So when I place the axle all the way up at full bump it's fine, but when I drop the opposite side all the way down (full drop) the shock still compresses another couple of inches.
I wanted to leave 1 inch of shock showing no matter how extreme the axle articulated, problem is I'm eating up about 4 to 5 inches of shock travel.
Is this a common problem or my just overthinking it. If I roll or jump in land awkward I don't want to bottom out my shocks.

Re:

I'd think if you were landing off center or whatever, hard/fast enough to damage a shock, you should have stiff enough valving to slow the shock speed down. And maybe put a shaft bump on the coilover itself.

Just my thoughts. I'm not an expert or experienced by any means.

From another thread.

How about a second shock that works as a bump stop and Limit strap? Mounts right next to your coilovers. Basically a hollow shock with a bump at top and bottom inside the body of shock. It would hand same travel as your coilovers and mounted to same bolts or right next to it like a bypass shock on a high end build. Would save your coilovers and you wouldn't have to worry about geometry of how your axle bottoms out.

Eddyj said:
How about a second shock that works as a bump stop and Limit strap? Mounts right next to your coilovers. Basically a hollow shock with a bump at top and bottom inside the body of shock. It would hand same travel as your coilovers and mounted to same bolts or right next to it like a bypass shock on a high end build. Would save your coilovers and you wouldn't have to worry about geometry of how your axle bottoms out.

This is the first time I have heard of the idea but thought about making something similar a while back. Would be the perfect bump. I was going to still use a strap to limit.

Yeah i thought I saw someone make one a long time ago. So that the bumpstop always hit square. I just thought it would be cool to have one pointed each direction. I'm to that point in my first buggy build and thinking about those rockwells that's a lot of weight to stop.

Hey Eddy, not to thread jack, i'm about to do limit straps also.. And have been wondering and debating where I need Em.. Have seen people with one for each end and I've seen a lot with one on each corner.. And don't know which is better or if either is better. How are you doin yours and most do theirs ? I would assume each corner. Just thought I would ask instead of making a new thread very similar to yours. Thanks

To me they main propose is to make sure your shocks don't over extend or the center doesn't drop and bind your driveshaft. So a strap running from mounting hole of the shock top and bottom is the only way to guaranty your shocks don't over extend. But I think that is overkill to have a 40 inch strap. But it is 100% effective. I think underrated is set up like this.

I like that shock bump stop idea! What type of shock would you use though? little dampening shocks have small shafts where air shocks have bigger shafts. Seems as if you'd want one with a thicker stronger shaft (LOLz)..... Maybe a cheap 2.0 air shock with no nitrogen in it? May not be the best route, but interesting concept to say the least.

My limit straps are mounted using the same bolts as the shocks. I would not do it this was again if I could. I would use a shorter strap from the axle or link to somewhere on the chassis.