• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

longer dana 60 (front) wheel studs

wizzo

i've read all the stuff on pirate, it all is some what dated, so i'm wondering if anyone has found a stud that will work that is at least 3" long

this is the stock stud info:
Dorman part # 610 - 283 is the part number for the STANDARD 1 ton Chevy, it fits 77-91 Chevy trucks. 9/16-18 thread, 2 17/32
long, .650 knurl diameter, 15/16 shoulder length.

610-283.jpg

I've searched dormans charts and can't find anything, but hopefully I've missed something

Had a few mins at work free. This is what I found. The knurl is different but possibly be made to work??

Dorman part # 610 - 303 - fits 77-91 Chevy trucks. 9/16-18 thread, 3 inches long, .678 shoulder, 15/16 shoulder length.

the problem with the 610-303 is the knurl location, it would never press into the hub to hold it tight.

610-303-B-001.JPG

wizzo said:
the problem with the 610-303 is the knurl location, it would never press into the hub to hold it tight.

610-303-B-001.JPG

Could you get in there and tack weld them to the back of the hub? They just need to be held enough to get the lugnut on and off.

Would it not work to bore the holes in the hubs .028 to allow the knurl size to work? If you plan to stay with the longer studs, no problem. Wouldn't be a ble to go back to the shorter ones though.

i ended up going with the 303 studs. the 303's i got didn't have the step down before the threads so we are drilling the hubs to be a press fit with the shoulder area before the knurl and the rotors the same for the knurl. it should hold tight into both the rotor and hub. i'll throw up a few pics when they're done

wizzo said:
i ended up going with the 303 studs. the 303's i got didn't have the step down before the threads so we are drilling the hubs to be a press fit with the shoulder area before the knurl and the rotors the same for the knurl. it should hold tight into both the rotor and hub. i'll throw up a few pics when they're done
How are these working out for you ? Is this the same stud that some dana 70 rears used ?

don't know on the bore. buddy of mine has a machine shop and did that. he told me it was a tight press fit. couple pics. i've got the axle torn apart right now so any other pics you want to see let me know.

Photo0425_zps87aee4db.jpg

Photo0424_zps6c52ed28.jpg

I know it is an old thread, but the answer was not here, so I feel inclined to add it since it would have been nice to find earlier. The proper replacement for a 610-283, that is 1/2" longer for using an alloy wheel is 610-563. You will need to purchase some KY and an inflatable donut to sit on for what they cost. $100 for a ten pack or $14-$15 for singles.

Re: Re: longer dana 60 (front) wheel studs

IHCrawler said:
I know it is an old thread, but the answer was not here, so I feel inclined to add it since it would have been nice to find earlier. The proper replacement for a 610-283, that is 1/2" longer for using an alloy wheel is 610-563. You will need to purchase some KY and an inflatable donut to sit on for what they cost. $100 for a ten pack or $14-$15 for singles.
I bought these last week and tried installing last night . Question is there anything that needs to be drilled out to install or is my air hammer just a bitch and cant knock them in. I'm gonna try and pull them on tonight with a impact and wheel stud installer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The knurl diameter of the factory 610-328 is too big to use anything longer with high enough knurl for the rotor. One solution is to run rotors over the face of the SRW hub, make an offset caliper bracket and use the 610-303.

Or,

Machine down DRW hubs and weld a wheel flange on, and run the rotor behind the hub with a 610-301. DRW hubs have 1/2" holes for the rotors to bolt on, so there's enough material to drill them out for the 301s.

Or,

Upgrade to unit bearings. :stir: