• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ls oiling

smitty0u812

Can some one tell my why every one talks about modifying the oiling system of a ls engine /oil pan and y do u need to do it

Stock pan is cast aluminium they break easy and they don't have any baffles I have hand great luck with my kevco pan for last 2 years and it has been at every angle you can think about

jccarter1 said:
Stock pan is cast aluminium they break easy and they don't have any baffles I have hand great luck with my kevco pan for last 2 years and it has been at every angle you can think about

Hrm, maybe if you use it as a skid plate too? Stock aluminum pan is a beast of a pan actually. Casting is super thick. Nothing wrong with it. I run a Mast Motorsports pan which is basically a clone of the F body stock pan, it is aluminum and has the baffling built in. I also run an 1.5 qt accumulator for piece of mind. There's not really an "LS oiling problem" so to speak, it's just that they are high performance motors and we twist them up more than ever these days so it's smart to take precautions.

redneckengineered said:
Hrm, maybe if you use it as a skid plate too? Stock aluminum pan is a beast of a pan actually. Casting is super thick. Nothing wrong with it. I run a Mast Motorsports pan which is basically a clone if the F body stock pan, it is aluminum and has the baffling built in. I also run an 1.5 qt accumulator for piece of mind. There's not really an "LS oiling problem" so to speak, it's just that they are high performance motors and we twist them up more than ever these days so it's smart to take precautions.

Yeah I was told a stock f body oil pan is good. I am running that pan with a 3 quart accumulator.

I think the "Problem" people think of is using a stock F body or Corvette pan (because those were the first LS motors that were widely available and popular to swap) with no additional baffling, accumulator, etc. Plus twisting the **** out of them, because an LS will take it.

Even the "car guys" have to make oiling provisions on cars that get driven hard (especially cars that see track days and such)

I didn't do any race baffles but I had a F-Body pan on mine and ruined a set of bearings because of it (in my opinion). The front sump if I am thinking correctly is not a good design for what we do (again in my opinion). I bought a truck pan and liked it much better until it got hit in a race and busted. So I ordered a Pacific Fab pan. Was it expensive yes but is it worth it to have a solid steel pan with built in skid plates and extra oil capacity I believe so. To each their own just my experience.

civicmindedex79 said:
I didn't do any race baffles but I had a F-Body pan on mine and ruined a set of bearings because of it (in my opinion). The front sump if I am thinking correctly is not a good design for what we do (again in my opinion). I bought a truck pan and liked it much better until it got hit in a race and busted. So I ordered a Pacific Fab pan. Was it expensive yes but is it worth it to have a solid steel pan with built in skid plates and extra oil capacity I believe so. To each their own just my experience.

F-body is rear sump. F-body and truck pan are really similar in design, it is just the truck pan is deeper. You are right about the front sump design though, not a good idea for a rock buggy.

smitty0u812 said:
Can some one tell my why every one talks about modifying the oiling system of a ls engine /oil pan and y do u need to do it

The stock truck oil pan is a great pan but it hangs too low for most buggies. When I built my buggy 5 years ago, I went with a Kevko. There were not as many options then as now. I've had zero issues with my pan BUT it has a remote oil filter set up. Next time, I would rather not have the extra lines if possible.

kmcminn said:
Y'all running stock oil pumps?

I had a stock oil pump **** the bed on me and cost me a bottom end. I went back with a Texas Speed oil pump. Now I think they just sell the melling high volume.

Running an f-body pan with the improved racing baffle. I also overfill it about a qt for piece of mind. No issues at any angle.

redneckengineered said:
F-body is rear sump. F-body and truck pan are really similar in design, it is just the truck pan is deeper. You are right about the front sump design though, not a good idea for a rock buggy.

Maybe I am thinking wrong. Mine is out of a 2000 Camaro Z28 and I could of swore it had a front sump but maybe not. That's been forever ago.