• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ls on propane.

Re: Re: Ls on propane.

lowbudgetjunk said:
With the amount of time you have to ride, I would put money into the easiest fix. Put a good set of tires on it first. Once the engine starts to go, then put in the auto, transfer case and LS all at once. All of this thoughts was mind spinning at 3pm :flipoff1:
That's why I put mine on propane. I had the stuff and it was more of bolt on project. Plus I don't get to ride that much so I don't have to mess with the tanks every weekend. If I get the chance to ride more than I do now I'll probably go to gas but I'm tickled with how well it runs now. Just need to keep beefing up stuff my SBC could never break. https://youtu.be/dm9cFsUgeAQ

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

i put my LS on the pane just because i did not want to go through all the bullshit of fuel system changes from propane to gas. i was already ball deep in a motor swap i had not planned for. i had a SBC on propane. the fuel efficiency increase was incredible. i went to one tank every 4-5 hours with the SBC to wheeling all day with some left in the tank to get home. the power was not much of a difference, but the LS was much quicker on the power than the SBC.

i would try it. you can unload the propane system for good money and it will save you time not swapping the entire fuel system over. my guess is if you're set up for propane, you cannot just slide in a fuel cell and call it good.

if you have any questions, i did the swap and tuning myself. i might even have the timing curves for the pills that come with the MSD box around here still.

Re:

The charts are posted on here somewhere. I found them while researching my swap. Phone isn't cooperating at the moment to find them again though. I'm really happy with the 3 pill but once I hear back from Buddy I'm hoping to do a custom tune on my laptop.

pholmann said:
If you like your 4 speed you can keep it behind an ls. It's nothing more than the proper flywheel and clutch assembly. Ls will already have a serpentine belt system and it'll come with a new power steering pump. Tires are definitely a must though.

LS1 flywheel, some fancy pilot bushing from the GM stealership, the LS1 pressure plate, SBC disk and throwout bearing, and a Speedway Motors pull-type slave cylinder that I'll sell you for $35, and a bracket I'll fabricate for you for $50.

Guys, if you are comparing fuel consumption with a propane system vs. gasoline fuel injection is a rather unfair comparison. The propane systems most everyone are running are open loop with no fuel control installed. You are not going to get optimum efficiency simply running a preset mixer and vaporizer. A gasoline fuel injection system will be more efficient due to the fact it is constantly adjusting the fuel mixture through the pcm fuel control. The beauty of the propane system is simplicity. You can add a fuel control module and make it more efficient. Several years ago I had a customer in Chattanooga that had a propane powered Ford F700. He bought an old Amerigas truck that was at the shop. While at the shop we installed a feedback control on the engine. Coming to Birmingham, empty he got 4.2 mpg. Going back to Chattanooga with the F350 on the back of the F700 he got 4.9 mpg. So he got .7 more mpg with 10K more weight on the truck.

altfuel1991 said:
Guys, if you are comparing fuel consumption with a propane system vs. gasoline fuel injection is a rather unfair comparison. The propane systems most everyone are running are open loop with no fuel control installed. You are not going to get optimum efficiency simply running a preset mixer and vaporizer. A gasoline fuel injection system will be more efficient due to the fact it is constantly adjusting the fuel mixture through the pcm fuel control. The beauty of the propane system is simplicity. You can add a fuel control module and make it more efficient. Several years ago I had a customer in Chattanooga that had a propane powered Ford F700. He bought an old Amerigas truck that was at the shop. While at the shop we installed a feedback control on the engine. Coming to Birmingham, empty he got 4.2 mpg. Going back to Chattanooga with the F350 on the back of the F700 he got 4.9 mpg. So he got .7 more mpg with 10K more weight on the truck.

Almost a 20% increase... towing. That is pretty cool

Jesus Hank Hill, there is no good reason to be plugging actual numbers and logic into this thread. That's just asinine. :rolf: :rolf:

altfuel1991 said:
What would a feedback control like cost?

onepieceatatime said:
What would a feedback control like cost?

The one we used was made by Autotronics, who also makes MSD. They stopped production of that unit several years ago due to slow sales. I will check around and see who is making a reasonably priced system and let you know.

Re: Re: Re: Ls on propane.

altfuel1991 said:
The one we used was made by Autotronics, who also makes MSD. They stopped production of that unit several years ago due to slow sales. I will check around and see who is making a reasonably priced system and let you know.
Send me a pm on that if ya would. You should have a message in your inbox as well about some hints on how to tune this MSD box.